Skimmer suggestion for 180g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

knockout

I am in the planning stage for a 180g tank, any suggestions for an IN-SUMP skimmer, would like to keep mostly SPS, some LPS...

there will also be a 75g sump

which models of these brands should I consider, why... feel free to add to my list...

ASM
Octopus
AquaC
MSX
MRC

I will set a budget right now for $600 but prefer to spend a lot less than that...

Kelvin.

barr aquatics skimmer beckett......

Barr aquatic is going to run a little more than his budget. Here's a pic of my week and a half old Octopus Extreme.
65gallonpics054.jpg

Very nice skimmer. I would go with the 300 model if it will fit in your sump. The picture is of a 200
http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-extreme-300-br-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2202.html

Knockout, i'd go for a msx250 or 300. Either will work for your tank. The reason i'd suggest a msx over an octo extreme is because they pw's you get and reducers work better than the octo extreme's and the pump's are machined and work better with mesh this way. With a octo extreme you'll get 13-17scfh per pw and with the msx you'll get 24-30scfh with each pw. marinesolutionsinc.com is your cheapest msx dealer.
hth

Luke

Also if you want to spend a few more bux i'd suggest a CNC/Octo pro 300. Thats what I run on my tank and its absolutely amazing. 75scfh at 57w in 5.5" water. Can't beat it imo. But they are around 700bux.

The octo pro is the cnc as cnc marine supply makes them and coralvue buys and rebrands them. So its the same thing : ) Spend a few extra bux and get that one. Its well worth the cash.

it's virtually the same as the msx/octo extreme 250 with 2 sicce pumps.
ati's are awesome skimmers, but i dont think the design is that much better than the extreme's to merrit the extra cost

Ive ran msx's and the pro and the pro is using a much better pump. Its quieter, no start up issues and the laguna pump's last forever. The sicce isn't nearly as nice.

As far as an ati vs a msx, i'd take the msx over and over just because i've never been a fan of the foam cannon design of the ati. The bubble extension kills the dwell time.

Have you looked into the Warner Marine skimmers? The AS-200 should be right around your price point. WM is a sponsor on this forum and posted some pic of the Sedra 9000 HO pump in action and it's pretty impressive. Tons of air, great warranty, and the best service I've ever come across.

Blazer, the wm's are nice but the sedra pulls 35-40scfh air compared to the laguna on the pro's that pull 60-75scfh.

The one you linked is the better of the two you commented on. The askoll pump that runs it is the same pump as a bk, atb uses. They are all the same motorblock, just modded differently. The askoll/laguna maxflo 1500/red dragon/air star Top of the line skimmer pump's. If you have a 300-350g system the octo pro 300 will work fine for you. I would set it in 5.5-6" water.

your thoughts on ASM G-4 have an offer for a good price for this skimmer but the pump is dead, she had it running with a Sedra 5000

1st, will you recommend this skimmer?
2nd, will you run it with the same pump?

Thanks.

For a 180g no way. I'm not a fan of the asm's as they are flimsy, have small neck's and overpriced.

Back