Skimmer Suggestions anyone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ritsuko Nashida

Need a recommendation/suggestions for a skimmer for a "Nano-Reef".

I currently have a small 10 gallon "bully tank" that more or less is slowly but surely becoming a Nano Reef. Ultimately I have a 27 tall actylic tank that I would like to get up and running by the end of the year. So I want to try to work out the filtration and skimmer issue before moving forward on this.

I am looking to put said 27 gallon Tall in in my office at work. I dont intend for this tank to be my main tank, just want to enjoy at work what I enjoy at home a little, so I am not trying to break the purse strings here. Just want a respectably nice tank.

So far I would like to put a pair of small Tomato Clowns, Small Rose Bubble Tip Anenome and maybe a SPS frag or two. I will initially run a Quad 4 96 watt PC over this tank with a possible lighting upgrade to 2 x 96 watt PC's (Dont really care for this type of lighting but Its stuff I already have readily available or can obtain for very cheap! So...). I am thinking 40 lbs of live sand, such as Indo-Pacific and right off the bat, about 20 lbs of Tonga-Eva Live Rock with a bit more to come later should I stumble across a couple of choice 2-4 lbs pieces later on. Filtration...the jury is still out on that, but I have a couple of decent sized HOB filters for this already, just not decided on which one I will use.

I am thinking this is pretty doable, but I would appreciate any critiques, suggestions or recommendations from anyone willing to share.

Not inch but 27 gallon "tall" style tank. Its 24L x 13D x 19H. It has limited openings in the back for filtration and such 2" x 13" . I can cut this opening a little wider but I would rather not just becuase it would be a hassle.

my old remora pro has always been good to me.... look into the Aqua C lineup.

my be well over powered for that size tank but its always better to over skim rather than under skim right?

i have a remora on my gallon and it works like a charm, i paid less than $200 for mine. its a much better skimmer than the prism i had on my 29. plus its not nearly as bulky or noticible when you look into the tank.

I would also recommend keeping your substrate to a bare minimum. Just my oppinion of doing these Nano system for a very long time. I know it looks really cool doing a thicker sand bed. But, is it really going to help you that much?
Bobby

Back