Wich Skimmer.......

• MRC2R Recirculating

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • H&S A200 External

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

servicky

Owner
I Am getting back into reefing and i have been using beckett style skimmers for about 10 yrs now. MRC and Reef Concepts. I am now debating on a needle wheel style skimmer. Any Thought would be great.... This is for a mixed lps and sps 150 gallon tank With fish...

MRC2R recirculating skimmer

H&S a200 External

I liked my mrc more than I like my new needle wheel. It seemed like I had more controll with the MRC and more skimmate. I didn't like the electric bill that came with the beckett thought. :lol:

Brian

well i definately voted for the h&s, but for that price, i 'd rather own an ATI bubble master@ 500 euro, but you would have to import it from germany...
the obvious benifit to a nw skimmer is less watts to be sure, but imo, i think the needlewheel skimmers (that have appropriately matched lph of air suction as a beckett) are going to be more stable, with less effects from feeding, dosing, and barometric pressure/weather, as well as less maintenance, i.e. that blasted beckett injector that always damn clogs. but i will say that typically a really good beckett skimmer like mrc or reef concepts is going to have a build quality that will surpass most n.w. skimmers.
you might also want to check out geo skimmers as well, very long waiting period, but some of the highest quality skimmers and reactors out there, and you can get either beckett or nw, and his nw skimmers are better quality that alot of the german imported ones, mabyev not better than h&s, but as good to be sure

Last edited:
i like the Octopus Needle wheel 200...it works great and comes with a cheap price...Aquariumextreme.com!!!!! Lowest prices....i have one..several people have purchased them lately and love them...

i agree with ron. These skimmers do a great job from what i've seen from other peoples pics. I think the biggest problem is waiting for them to be shipped.

they are nice, and they do work well, but they dont compare to the big boys too well when you look at lph of air per gph of water processed. if you were broke and had to buy a skimmer on a budget i would consider the octopus 200, but you would have to modify it to get it to perform like a h&s or deltec, or beckett.
alot of people are buying the octopus skimmers and switching out the pumps, ie, upgrading to an eheim/aquabee/sedra nw pump to save on cash.
also, the octopus nw can be modified with gutter guard to increase lph of air sucktion

Tagging along....

Let us know what you decide, and how you like it!

You should change your name from skimmerwhisperer to skimmergod and creator of all good skimmers :lol:

im a total geek with no life out of reef tanks, dont let this happen to YOU....lol

im not sure how my obsession with skimmers started, probably because i did the skimmerless-with-refugium natural method for so long, then i got hooked on sps...granted, some corals dont "like" skimmers, but the ones i like DO!:p

the Ati's are really good. but!!!!! the word on the street is they need to have the thread wheel cleaned regularly. they cant run yet on US power. No where to buy them that I have found in the us. but if they were available they would be killer skimmers and beat out anything in the price range.

yep, oh yeah, did i forget to mention the power transformer for at least $100..lol..i think you would have to run a felt sock on the imput to the sump for a skimmer like that...
i noticed that aquarium obsessed is carrying the fauna marine brand, which makes a knock off ati skimmer, but the older twisti model with an aquabee pump, but still freakin awesome skimmer for the cash, great design!!!
someone here in the states needs to knock off the design...lol

come on ppl i need more imput.... I do belive in using us companys as well but the h&s they say is very good... im not worried on electricity so what would be your thoughts ppl.

I myself like Lifereef skimmers. I run mine on a little giant pump but they can be run on manny diffrent pumps and can be stand alone or in sump depending on the pump you choose. Most of there better skimmers can be upgraded if you decide to get a larger tank in the future. My skimmer is rated for 250 verry conseritivly with the little giant pump I am using but I can get an adapter to increes it's abilities to 1500gal. Best thing is it's no clog injectors.

Well youll never guess.. I went With a Barr Aquatics 32 inch becket skimmer They seemed to be the best built and engineerd becket type skimmer out... Think i will carry those in my new shop...... Thanks all for the input on the skimmer poll.. I just cant get myself to switch to needle wheels.... Ok whats next... Lets do a sump configurations fourm now....

no its the 1620 Its only for a 150 gallong tank at 32 inches..... Its rated for 500 max so i figured 150 loaded it should do fine with a sequence tarpon pump...

Back