Skimmer upgrade choices

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zeltar

Proud new papa....
OK, heres the deal. I have an AquaC 150 (original model) which is my current bubble factory. I used to run this on my last salt tank (60G) and it worked great. I now have it installed on my 120 which has dual 1.5" drains and the sump moves a lot more water than the previous installation.

So, I want a new skimmer and have looked at the ER and the new AquaC EV series. The EV240 appears to have a larger capacity that say the ER 6-2+.
One of the LFS claims that the ER will pull out much more nasty skimate than the EV. He seems to think that the EV moves TOO much water.

My deal is that I want a skimmer large enough to handle a tank twice the size for upgradeablility (sp?).

What would you do? and why?

ER 6-2+ = $419 (stated to 150G)
AquaC EV240 = $399 (stated to 350G)

TIA.

Eric,
I have an EV 180 on my 120 and it does a great job. I feed kind of heavily as I have several tangs and I get consistantly low nitrates (less than 1 ppm, salifert kit) which leads me to believe nasties are being removed from the system correctly. Also have had no algae problems. I have a 5 liter auto whaste container and let the skimmer run for a week to see how much skimmate I would get- almost 4 liters in a week...

hehehe - the AquaC vs. Euro-Reef. I was in this position, bouncing between the AquaC EV240 and the ER CS8-3. So far, I have been very happy with the Euro-reef - I had issues early on, but ER was quick to rectify my problem. Both are good quality skimmers.

I ran a Euro-Reef 5-3 on my 155 until a recent upgrade today to E-R 8-2 I also have a E-R 5-2 that I would run at the same time and it only just seemed to split the load when this was done I feed heavily and have a large bio load I think the Euro-Reefs are great skimmers also very easy to clean

also you might check with our sponsors blue sierra and marine depot I believe they both have better prices than you have

mushroom boy has a bullet 1 with pump for sale at a very reasonable price. i have the same skimmer and highly recommend it. my $.02.

NaH2O said:
hehehe - the AquaC vs. Euro-Reef. I was in this position, bouncing between the AquaC EV240 and the ER CS8-3. So far, I have been very happy with the Euro-reef - I had issues early on, but ER was quick to rectify my problem. Both are good quality skimmers.

Nikki, could you elaborate on the issue you had with the skimmer. please?
thanks

The union on the skimmer cup leaked, no matter how tight we screwed that thing on. Not a big deal, and I read the "euro reef club" thread over on RC, and seems like I probably could have fixed it with some sort of silicone, but hey - when you spend the kind of money for an ER CS series, I want it to be right. I then had some of the prongs break off the needle wheel....I'm still not sure how that happened. Anyway, Euro-Reef sent me a whole new unit, included a new impeller, return postage paid for the old unit, and I now have a functioning skimmer.

Well I took the plunge yesterday and decided on the AquaC EV240. I really like my current skimmer BUT some things needed fixing. The new design will elimainate the bubble problem and will run much more stabel as it is designed to run in a sump up to 10" of water depth with out any flucuations. I should get it plumbed this weekend as long as my wife doenst go into labor :), as our due date is the 13th. So we could have a new roomate any time now.

I'll post some pics when I get it installed assuming my new camera gets here tomorrow.

skimmer

So are you selling your old skimmer? I need a quiet skimmer, can't put it inside the tank or the sump as both are shallow. Bought one but have to return it as it leaks and is very noisy, it's going in the bedroom so that's just out, glad it leaked so I can return it, also glad I bought it at the LFS so I don't have to ship it! :).
If not selling the old one am taking suggestions. Am poor, can't afford Remora but it sounds great...
Kate B
Oly WA

Back