Skimmers That Do Not Release Micro Bubbles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

meitzler

fraggy
I am looking at replacing my skimmers. I have a ASM G4X and a Euroreef. Both of them release microbubbles into the sump. Does anyone know if there is a skimmer sized for a 330g that does not release bubbles. Anyone have experience with the Deltec TS 1060, or HS or the new ATI bubblemaster 250? If you do, can you tell me if they are also quiet and of course work well.

Add a sponge to the outlet for the water, your bubbles should disappear.

Skimmers will always add microbubbles, nature of the beast right there.

ati bm 250 would be perfect for your 330g,
very quiet,
ours in the store i work at releases no bubbles back into the sump,
the skimmer is a bad ass performer (2500lph air @ $769).
it would smoke the deltec turbo 1060s easily (1500 lph of air @ $1600)
and is even less money than the regular turbo 1060 (900 lph of air @ $1100)
and twice the power.
and again, there are no microbubbles coming out of the return of virtually any ati bm skimmer, especially the newest generation. mabye a few for a day or 2 at breakin, but that's it.
and the build quality would be the same as deltec (i've never thought deltec build quality reflected their price).
the only issues the ati's have is potential restart issues with the pumps, but if you know the tricks to restart it, it's not a prob. well worth dealing with for the performance and power you get.

I can backup the recomendation for the BM250. I've experienced good things w out the microbubbles. But can also backup Mark's sentiments about the restart issues of the pumps, but I too have learned the tricks.

Is there a manual online for the bubblemaster 250. I am trying to see how far up from the bottom the water level needs to be. Also from the pictures, does the water exit the skimmer on the same side where the water is feed in. And is the restart problem mention with the old eheim modified pump or their new sice pumps.

Thanks.

Is there a manual online for the bubblemaster 250. I am trying to see how far up from the bottom the water level needs to be. Also from the pictures, does the water exit the skimmer on the same side where the water is feed in. And is the restart problem mention with the old eheim modified pump or their new sice pumps.

Thanks.

the bm 250 runs best in anywhere from 7-9", the newer models have a built in gate valve where the skimmer water outlets underneath the water surface, so it's dead quiet.
the restart issues are with both the older eheims and the newer sicce pumps, but it's pretty easy to deal with once you learn how, it shouldnt deter you from buying one...
here's a pic:

If you really want a skimmer that doesn't release bubbles back into the sump look for a recirc. Most of the time teh micro's are being leaked because there is to much flow in the skimmer. With a recirc you can control how much water you pump in the skimmer.

For the BM how far from the botton is the outlet?

Is the restart issue a matter of blowing air in each of the pumps through the venturi?

And, who has the best price on BM 250 with the gate valve? Are any stores in the Portland or Seattle area selling them for $769. I say one reference to $749, but could not confirm the source.

Back