skimmerstein

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brianblack

Guess I best put up a second thread this could get long maybe.:) I will move skimmer pics here and try to keep updated on the performance. So if anyone else wants to try a build I will help with what I can. Maybe later tonight but rearranging my sumpzilla to accommodate this latest creature. Rush rush rush - need to clean out the back area and move my store I mean supplies and redesign the sump area we will call it.:D

Trying thumbnail thing
Yippee - find I am not so retarded after all:) - well untill I did the spell checker:lol: I will go do some more pics now and organize them - just read how to do close ups with the camera

Last edited:
that skimmer is huge dude. i have to come check it out. give me a day.

Pick a day let me know I will be around prolly weekends and after 5:30 on weekdays so you could just give a call anytime and come down. now for somemore pics. The first pic is just a dry fit. Guess I will list my materials used
Weldon 16

3/8 plexi sheet had laying around which I made all flages and lower box with.

An acrylic tube 6 OD 5.75 ID 22in high which I have been kicking around with for at least 15+ years waiting for a purpose.

A floor drain with a strainer from home depot (imagine that they had something I was looking for)

Some 3/4 pipe and various fittings for the pump plumbing

Some 1in pipe and fittings for the output

4in to 2in reducer for the bottom of the cup

4in coupler for the top section of the cup

for the seals I used Foamies which can be bought at Michaels or AC Moore they are sticky back foam sheets that are 1/16 thinck but only saw in 8.5x11 size wise.

oh and the big dollar Sedra 5000 power plant.

Last edited:
All for above pics
In the second picture you can see the pump and lower workings. I wanted everything removable in case this design did not work out. The only thing I glued was the fittings going through the top of the box. BTW I over build everything prolly do not need 3/8 acrylic for the box. I do not have anything resting on the motor itself. I have the sides of the box cut to height of the motor and upper fittings so the center did not take all the weight. the foot print is 10x10. prolly could be a bit smaller but I have the room. I researched quite a few skimmers and designs - becketts, venturis, and needle wheels and just ended on a needle wheel since I have no experience with the other kinds and this is my first attempt. Maybe later play with recirc or other types of input but this is it for now. Baby steps. I finished my initial design and then stumbled on lifereef skimmers and holy @#$% they were very similar so I used it as a base idea. I decided to put the pump underneath with no elbows reducing power. the plate you see is 6in from the bottom and used as a bubble separator (don't know if it really does anything at this point). then up to the T which the outputs are reduced from 3/4 to 1/2.

The third pic is in operation but you can see the drain (upside down) on top of the body to reduce down to 2in input to the cup which is a 2 to 4 in reducer with the 4in coupling glued to it and the acrylic top.

The fourth pic is the bubble separation area - I need to replace the ball valve with a gate valve but at the time of build no local stores had one.:(

the 5th pic is just in operation the bubble area from the separator to the bottom of the cup is 20in

Below is the skimmate production - been running for a week or so but need a gate valve to tune her right in. The ball valve is ok but you do not have enough control, well I do not, to move it in small increments so I am running a bit dry now. on the third pic you can see the discoloration at the top of the bubble chamber where the ball valve was open a bit too far and the bubble level was low for awhile.
Any thoughts or comments fire away.:D
Only thing left are a few minor mods - drain cup, hook air intake to cup top, get the damn gate valve and maybe trade the 5000 in for a 9000 and maybe combine it with ozone. next big change is the sumpzilla design to accomodate this skimmer and re introduce my removable dsb. I think in this hobby you are never finished tinkering around with your system looking for better ways to do things.;)
PS - BTW I am not trying to fit this in a cabinet I have an area behind my in wall tanks to play.

Last edited:
krish75 said:
That skimmer came out really nice man...Congrats and thank you for sharing:)

Thanks:D Krish - next time you are skiing in the Poconos you can stop by and touch it:)
Now prolly have to build one for sryder:rolleyes::razz: - how bout it Steve I got the glue Tim seems to have the acrylic connection:lol: - I did a lot of research and reading on this board and looking at different skimmer designs. I will confess I read thereeftank too. I wondered what the big sticker prices on these mystery bubble machines was all about:shock: - still do not know. Looked at some at the LFS that were set up dry on the shelves and said I will build one. I needed a bigger skimmer (had been running a seaclone 150 and an ancient venturi one I got with a 125) on this system a 75 and 2 30 breeders for fuges. oh and a 20L grow out tank but things seem to morph as you go along. I am gearing up for the 125 - have the lighting parts - need to redo the sumpzilla - and so far the skimmer seems to be working. So I am on my way just need to poke a hole in the wall remove a door and relocate some wiring - no worries. Couple of sparks a bit of smoke all in a days work.:D

Maybe should put this out in the DIY section.:D pic 1 Well got the gate valve and yes it is the key.;) Boy such a fine tune to be done with it. Do not even bother trying anything else a gate valve is the way to go - will have pics as soon as I can get on my wife's machine. Took out the 'T' on the out put and ran direct and boy no bubbles from this bad boy!:cool: Pic 2 is just output. Next mod prolly be an external collection cup/container. Water level in the sump does effect my performance. Any comment suggestions would be cool.

Last edited:
I am bidding on a used 9000 now up to a whole 1.25 sure it wont stay that way for long. If ya do go with the horsepower let us know how she fares. If I get the 9000 I will post that up. BTW do you have an opinion on how the bubbles should move in the skimmer - I have mine swirling since my seaclone and the lifereef did. Two ends of the money spectrum but similar principal. Nothing is glued in my skimmer (in case I wanted to play) so I can put any config in the chamber I want at any height. Some say no swirl - stright up - straight in. maybe when I get my sump reconfigured and a constant level in it I could play and do some experiments to see which works best in my case anyway.

Thanks:D Krish - next time you are skiing in the Poconos you can stop by and touch it:)
Now prolly have to build one for sryder:rolleyes::razz: - how bout it Steve I got the glue Tim seems to have the acrylic connection:lol: - I did a lot of research and reading on this board and looking at different skimmer designs. I will confess I read thereeftank too. I wondered what the big sticker prices on these mystery bubble machines was all about:shock: - still do not know. Looked at some at the LFS that were set up dry on the shelves and said I will build one. I needed a bigger skimmer (had been running a seaclone 150 and an ancient venturi one I got with a 125) on this system a 75 and 2 30 breeders for fuges. oh and a 20L grow out tank but things seem to morph as you go along. I am gearing up for the 125 - have the lighting parts - need to redo the sumpzilla - and so far the skimmer seems to be working. So I am on my way just need to poke a hole in the wall remove a door and relocate some wiring - no worries. Couple of sparks a bit of smoke all in a days work.:D

if we can get the acrylic from tim iw ill indeed like to build one. maybe a 5 footer.:D

Put in a float in the sump for consistant water level and put a drain on the collection cup to a 5 gal pail. Boy she works fine!! Steve if ya still want to build one figure the design and then pester Tim to see if he has some materials.

you know it. I just added in the 75 so water volume is now up to 225 or so gallons.

Well just been dreaming yes and gonna do a saving campain for a 220. Still 6ft but 24x31 and maybe sell the 125. my till is $75 right now. figure bout $150 for a 125 or so maybe sell the cougar and the boat and I think I will have enough.

Looking for a bump but got 2 sedra 9000's just looking for time to build one in to see what the performance difference will be. Maybe redesign with dual inputs if chamber can take the flow! So many ideas so little time

Back