Skimming: Wet or Dry?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

I read a few brief comments elsewhere on reeffroniers that skimmers run "wet" help fight algae. I'd like to hear more about that. I have a green hair algae problem just develop. Can I slow it by adjusting my skimmer to run wetter... and emptying it more frequently.

I'm also working on all the chemistry angles. And I'm increasing my water flow.

But what about a UV Sterilizer? I own one. Not currently using it. Would prefer not to have two more plugs plugged in. But if it would help????

A UV sterilizer won't help a hair algae problem because it only kills what passes through it and is exposed to the UV light so unless your hair algae is free floating, then it won't help eliminating what's growing on your rocks. As for "wetter" skimming, couldn't say for sure...The main thing is eliminating any excess nutrients in the tank which fuels the algae to grow. Also to stay on top of your water changes using ro/di water and keeping your bulbs changed out regularily. Sorry to hear about your hair algae issues. Hope you get it under control soon:)

Wet skimming is designed for high flow reef tanks. Not only do the hydrophobic materials get skimmed but so does a lot of particulate detritus that was swept into the water column. Like Krish said, this prevents it from rotting and causing dissolved nutrients.

Running a skimmer wetter without getting detritus into the water column is not going to solve any problems.

Back