skimmy's uber nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skimmy

SKIM FU
o.k. well, i thought i should finally make a thread about my sweet nano...

so first the specs;

24x12x12 15gal all glass tank

tek 5 24" t5ho 4 bulb fixture

octopus bh100f hob protein skimmer (modified;))

koralia nano powerheads, 4 x 265 gph

15 lbs tonga branch/fiji live rock

2" live sand

the driving motivation behind this set up was to have a nano reef that is visually eloquent in design, without alot of heaters, powerheads, wires or plumbing visible, yet with competent filtration and flow capable of sustaining sps corals.
well, after compromising a little bit, i came up with the idea of using the bh100f skimmer(rated for 100g), which would also house my carbon/phosphate media bag and titanium heater, keeping them out of the tank, and the other benifit was that the pump for the skimmer was located in the body of the skimmer, not the tank. so all i have to look at now was powerheads for flow...
i started off with 1 koralia #1 @ 400gph,
then moved to 2 koralia nano's @ 265 each
then upgraded to 4 koralia nano pumps, because i could basically put one in front of each of the exiting 2 already in the tank with hardly even noticing they were there...:idea:
and they are so tiny anyway, about the size of a small egg.
as for the lighting, i chose the combination of having a 12" tall tank in conjunction with the 4 bulb t5 tek light unit, i figured this way with so little depth penetration, i could keep just about anything and not have crazy heat issues in the summer time. well, my suppositions were confirmed!! i can keep the most sensitive and hard to keep sps and actually have them thrive, and increase in color instead of fade away.

here's a list of my corals; all purchased from BARRIER REEF AQUARIUMS of coarse!!:)

red/orange pavona
true superman monti
true rainbow monti
purple monti digi
red/green acan lord
pink bubblegum acan echinata
orange/brown acan hilliae
red/blue micromussa with green bulls eye center
austrailian green duncans
armor of god zoa's
eagle eye zoa's
pink/green mouth zoa's
pink zoa's
fire & ice zoa's
orange/green zoa's
dragon eye (or green apple) zoa's
red/blue ricordea
purple gorgonian
sunset milli
oregon tort
rasberry lemonade (acro. nasuta)
blue pulchra
pink birdsnest
red/green favia brain
red mushrooms
purple acro. horrida
orange plate fungia
green hydnopora

for clean up crew i have;

10 astrea snails
10 scarlet leg hermits
10-20 stomatella snails
2 pepermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs
plan on adding 1 or 2 conch snails for sand sifting

fish:

1 firefish
i plan on doing a yasha hasa goby w/ candy cane pistol
and possibly other nano gobies as well(trimma, green bar, neon)

here's a couple crappy photos of my tank....:cry:
i will get some good pics and close ups of each frag/colony soon!
the color is all washed out on these pics because of my t5's

and there will be much more posting on my skimmer modification ...of coarse!!
octobh100fmods072.jpg

octobh100fmods065.jpg

more pics and posts to come soon!
and please, dont solicit me for frags...unless of coarse you have something rare to trade as well:shock:

Last edited:
H.O.B. skimmer? I would have figured you'd be running a triple mesh-moded, gate valved, six foot skimmer on that bad boy. Looks good man. Looking forward to the close-ups.
Brett

Looking good. I like the way you aquascaped it, it makes the tank feel alot bigger then it is. Of course, everything in it appears to be very happy and healthy.

H.O.B. skimmer? I would have figured you'd be running a triple mesh-moded, gate valved, six foot skimmer on that bad boy. Looks good man. Looking forward to the close-ups.
Brett

i know, i know...that's how i ran all my nano's in the past (with sumps and much larger skimmers)
but i wanted to see if a reef could actually be stable with hang on the back gear, granted, it is a 100g skimmer on a 15g, that is hot rodded with a sedra needle wheel pump, so it produces between 8-12 ounces of nice skimmate every day;)

thanks for all the kind words peeps!! my daughter is getting a slr cannon digital camera so much better pics soon:)

aww, that's o.k. ...jan can have frags, lol
she has many colonies i covet:rolleyes:

...jeff can have frags too...lol

so, on the skimmer, i shortened the inlet and outlet so that they are as inobtrusive as possible, then i capped the top of the outlet "t" and drilled a hole for air. i then took a volute/venturi from an ASM mini g skimmer and replaced the stock octopus venturi/volute. you can see in the pic below how much bigger the asm volute is compared to the octopus volute, and the asm mini uses the gen x 1000, which has identical size volutes, inlets and outlets as the resun pump on the octopus.(the sedra 2500 parts can all swap out with the pump as well)
then a few months later, the octopus pump started making alot of noise, overheating and stopping like once every other day or so, so i took out the resun pump and put in a sedra 2500 nw. utterly silent, increased performance, and no overheating. the skimmate pic below is what i can collect in 24 hours. i especially love that the heater and carbon can go in there too.

octobh100f001.jpg

octobh100fmods010.jpg

octobh100fmods023.jpg

octobh100fmods051.jpg

and a few more crappy tank shots...these are with no actinic, so totally blah color...not like with the normal lights.
octobh100fmods044.jpg

octobh100fmods045.jpg

sorry, i missed a couple q's...

the coral at the bottom right is the orange plate fungia...

and i use seachem powdered reef complete for calcium/stront/mag,
and seachem reef builder for alkalinity/ph.
beyond that i use elos omega amino acids, elos trace with iodine, elos pro skimmer and elos SVc. (pro skimmer and SVc are organtics based food products for corals)
i will probably be switching over to elos prima line calcium and alkalinity just to try it here soon.
i also change the t5 bulbs every 6 months for full output.

Back