slimy white tips

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seaweed

hi all...

i have this friend he has a acro and it has full polyp extension and alll and looks very very healthy except its tips get all white and slimy and then goes away to return.... his kh is 8 and ca is 420 all other par are in check

this means they are feeding and hungry, what is he feeding his corals?

Matt

hi all...

i have this friend he has a acro and it has full polyp extension and alll and looks very very healthy except its tips get all white and slimy and then goes away to return.... his kh is 8 and ca is 420 all other par are in check

slime comig off tips means hungry are u sure..... never seen that with my own acros

Sure it's not getting nipped at by fish it?

I have an acro that is getting nipped ocassionally it grows fine but one area only gets very slimmy and white and looks like it's been bumped I assumed it has been nipped?

Last edited:
Hello,
There can be many reasons for the condition you describe. One of the most common is protection from drying and/or UV when exposed to air. Acropora at low tide can produce great quantities of a slimy mucous. Every water change on my home tank results in this happening.

Another cause is a reaction to other corals either near or far away. Many corals produce toxic compounds that will trigger a reaction as you describe.

The addition of additives will also cause some corals to temporarily slime up.

For Acropora corals extreme poly extension is the normal observation of it when feeding whereas sliming is most often associated with irritation.

HTH,
Kevin

Back