slow growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltfishlover

well i just looked a few pics from years ago. i realized that my coral growth is not that fast. I have talked to othersand we both have pulsing xenia. his grows about twice the rate of mine. I checked trates, trites, amonia and all low-0. calcium is at 450 and alk is 12. any ideas? I have a 72 gal bowfront now with a sump. it runs a prisim skimmer with 2x250 MH bulbs and 4x 65W actinic PC. runs between 6-8 hours depnding on alge growth. i do 5-10 percent wwater change weekly. should i add supplemnts.. thats the one thing i try to avoid.

what other corals do you have? I also have pulsing xenia...it was our 1st coral...and it grows almost like a weed. We have 2 150W HQI halides which the xenia is currently directly under b/c we are trying to grow it out and use it as a living background on the tank. we dose only calcium and iodine and do water changes every 2-3 weeks, have a 35g sump and 150g display.

Do you both have the same species? If they're big enough you should trade a small piece w/ each other and monitor the growth...just an idea.

Here is a picture of it the day we added it to the tank:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_members/showphoto.php?photo=5811&ppuser=14141

And here it is a few days ago-it's the pink clump at the top of the rock
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_members/showphoto.php?photo=6109&ppuser=14141

After some quick math...it's been in the tank for 66 days between the pictures.

i have a bunch others. frogspawn hammer, torches, candycane, shrooms and some zoos. its a pretty full tank with corals, but only have 3 fish. 2 clowns and a damsel so livestock not so much. maybe im missing the diffenence between a normal MH light and a HQI.

I think the difference is the iodine. I have xenia and when i stopped dosing iodine, the xenia stopped growing. All of your softies and LPS will love the extra iodine.

How fast is it growing? I got one branch of it about 6 months ago. Now I have 25+ branches. I dont know if thats fast or slow, but I dont dose iodine and run 195W t5' over my 40G.

Peace

I have pom pom and blue tip that i frag about every three months. I go from one or two stalks to about 20+ big stalks of each in three months. I could get double that of little stalks if i gave it more rubble to "jump" to. Maybe some of the people that i have traded xenia to will jump in with their experiences with it in their tanks. I am sure that the strain of xenia makes a difference in how fast it will grow.

in three months i have ot gained any new branches. it was growing well about a year ago when i got it, but it stopped about 6 months ago. not getting any taller or thicker. how much iodine do you dose?

we have a LPS dominated tank with only 1 SPS (just got yesterday) so far. I was dosing 4 capfuls of Kent Marine Iodine (red bottle) about every 8-9 days. I may lay off for awhile though as we just added a burgandy starfish as well and I'm not SURE about the effect (if any) it will havae on him and I want to make sure he makes it :p

almost forgot to ask...how long has it been since you cleaned your light covers...if used over the halides?? Reason I ask is I just did it yesterday...after 4 months. Just a thought

if you're gonna dose iodine ... you should first check where you are at dood :) ..... never dose without knowing what you got.
ph should be around 8.4 where's yours at?
what kind of test kits are you checking with?? just a few things to think about :p

Back