SLS Galaxy ballast vs. IceCap MH250w

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reef_doug

Does anyone have experience with both?
What is the better e-ballast in terms of less energy , better PAR, and less flickering for 250w HQI?

I'm using XM10K in ROIII pendants.

TIA,
Doug

Sorry no experience with the SLS Galaxy but I am extremely happy with my two IceCap 250W MH... For what it's worth, zero noise and nice output with 10Ks using lumenarc reflectors.

Try Ballastwise, Much cheaper and very workable and dependable. Ice cap have certain glitches if used with X10 controllers. I have not used SLS products.

I contacted Chris Guthrie of Sunlight Supply regarding the Galaxy ballasts....I was curious about what ballast was inside, and what would happen with a dual ballast if one went bad, (could one be replaced or would the whole thing need to be replaced?)

Chris advised he didnt know what ballast was inside it, but they were made in China, and that the entire ballast would need to be replaced if one went bad on the dual. He stated SLS would pay fir shipping both ways...but they would not send a new one out until they got the defective first.

E-ballasts are different and run differently. I've had IceCap 250 watt mh ballasts for the past 2.5 years....I dont run X-10 modules, but have heard from numerous people that they will interfere w/ them when used on the same circuit. They wont run XM 10K DE bulbs, (XDE'S), and they will cause some minor but visible interferance on your TV if they are nearby....

But I love em, (and most of SLS' products), and wouldnt hesitate to buy them again. ARO ballasts are also good....very similar in performance to IceCaps....to the point of pretty much being interchangable IMO.

Go to www.cnidarianreef.com and click on the link for 250 watt mh bulb test. JBNY spent alot of time testing various bulb & ballast combinations. He recorded his results there.

I havent heard of ballastwise products, so I know nothing about them..

Nick

Back