small anemone 1/3 of inch ,neon green body, uneven skirt -good or pest

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

they are pretty , walk, and split ..never get bigger that that ..kind a majano with beautiful neon body ...keep or throw !!! anybody????????

some are, some aren't fast splitters.
I have some now that are a pretty green with pink tips.
I actually remember someone on RC selling them as tulip anemones.

I have one that I sometimes suspect is a majano... has been with me for a couple years and never spit or moved since I set this tank up. Its pretty and multi colored so I ignore it. If I had some that split a lot I'd set up a tank for them.

What I hate is when they show up in the middle of a nice zoanthid colony. They don't seem to sting the zoanthids, but will out compete them for space. Plus you run the risk of doing damage to your zoanthids trying to remove them.

What I hate is when they show up in the middle of a nice zoanthid colony. They don't seem to sting the zoanthids, but will out compete them for space. Plus you run the risk of doing damage to your zoanthids trying to remove them.

They are stinging them, that is how they maintain the space.
I keep most of my zoas on your racks. Was looking at the solid mat of brightly colored zoas and noticed a 1" hole and wondered why. Upon closer inspection, was a single small Majano centered in the hole.

RIP little fella...

If they sting, they don't seem to have the same power as the aptasias. I have seen these majanos, show up inbetween polyps and not do damage to neighboring polyps like a aptasia would.
I figured they just landed in that particular spot and just muscled there way in by force.

If they sting, they don't seem to have the same power as the aptasias.

Agree they are MUCH less toxic. Just enough irritation to keep competitors at skirts length. The one majano was about 3/8" across the tenticles, the hole was 1 1/4" so as the currents changed, it managed to maintain a hole. The rest of the area is a solid mat up to 2" high!

Its pretty and multi colored so I ignore it. If I had some that split a lot I'd set up a tank for them.

Back a few years ago a really nice couple setup a retail fish/coral store in their basement in Seattle.
In one of the tanks, that I'd guess was about 125 gallons, they had thousands of the green with pink tip majanos. Some were around 1-1/2" in dia. One side of the rock work was totally covered in them. It did look cool in a scarey sort of way.
It wasn't long before I noticed them in my own tanks.......:(

Back