Snail Eggs ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

Not really sure but I think these are Cerith snail eggs from what I can figure. And of course the snail laid them while I was gone out for my Birthday dinner. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

So the cerith snail returned. Unsure of what the snail is doing now, possibly laying more eggs?

IMG_0362.jpg

not sure which snail lays those eggs but i get them all the time in my tank, they'll lay them and the eggs stay there for a couple days then either just fall off or one of the hermits gets ahold of them...

they and the other eggs that get laid from snails in my tank never seem to hatch as i have never seen any of the babies. If they all survived my tank would have overflowed a looooonnnngggg time ago

I am going to try and see if I can get any of them off and put them into my fishless/hermitless tank. *lol*

Definitely Cerith eggs. Fortunately, Cerith snails, when the eggs hatch, are a snail. A lot of snails start out as a planktonic critter and metamorph to a snail a few weeks later. Because of this, our skimmers usually suck them up and they don't survive.

Make sure your calcium levels are high. The babies really need this to develop their shells.

Definitely Cerith eggs. Fortunately, Cerith snails, when the eggs hatch, are a snail. A lot of snails start out as a planktonic critter and metamorph to a snail a few weeks later. Because of this, our skimmers usually suck them up and they don't survive.

Make sure your calcium levels are high. The babies really need this to develop their shells.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that Cerith snails actually are born as a snail with somewhat of a shell already attached. I always assumed all snails were born as plankton sized / bite sized morsels that someone would eat. *lol*

I'll keep everyone up to date and hopefully I'll get my camera back from warranty repairs at Canon before they hatch.

Cheers,
Alex

I think I gave you the wrong information. Cerith snails do indeed go through a larval period, in which they are part of the planktonic soup. So, you'd need an aquarium with no filtration, and a source of phytoplankton, in which they can feed on.

Sorry about that.

Dang, and I thought I was home free there. *lol* Guess I'll have to figure out how to get them into my small tank.

Thanks for the info.
Alex

Back