snails and algea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wgregww

Will snails it the green hair algae and culpera? I know they eat algae, but is there a certain kind they prefer? Also will tangs eat the green hair and culpera?

Thanks for the help!!

Tangs will usually eat the hair algae as well as blue legged hermit crabs. Snails, I'm not too sure which ones will. As for caulerpa, I couldn't say who'd eat the stuff! Hopefully someone else will chime in on that one, but in any event, prevention is best where algae is concerned which means getting to the root of the problem is always best otherwise, you'll always have the problem. You could add all the tangs and clean-up crews you wanted, but if there are still excess nutrients in the tank, then the algae will always have fuel to grow. Just a thought:)

I agree with Krish, if your tank is large enough, you might consider a Tang. Keep in mind, they're a lil' more intolerant of Ich though. Also keep in mind that once they've devoured your algae, you'll have to supplement their diet. Might look into a Lawnmower Blenny for the hair algae. I don't know of any crabs or snails that are going to really help out with Calurpa though. I got rid of mine by picking it out by hand whenever I saw any cropping up. After a few trips into the tank by hand, I've not seen anymore in a very long time.

My cowrie eats, or rather, makes a mess of the caulerpa. But then again, he seems to eat just about anything. I am not sure if that's a desirable thing for snails to eat macro algae like caulerpa, since all he does is bite off a branch, which then floats around and attaches elsewhere in the tank.

My yellow tang and clean up crew tear up calerpa. I've tried to add it twice to my tank and both times it lasted less than 48 hours.

I had my live rock covered in calupera and my yellow tang eat it all in a month!:D I haven't seen any return yet!:)

Back