soft coral safe anenome

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedyrb29

Is there any anenomes that are safe to keep with soft corals? I know when an anenome moves from 1 spot in the tank to another they can sting other corals are there any speices that dont have a potent sting or a sting that wont hurt soft corals?

One thing to understand about anemones is they are not reef creatures. They are found just outside reefs and in lagoons mainly. Most coral species have no real defense against their often powerful nematocysts.

Many types of hardy soft corals are fairly resistant to anemone nematocysts for short periods, some will even withstand it for weeks. It really depends on the species, Sinularia's are quite resiliant. I would highly recommend you run the tank with carbon when keeping anemones and strong chemical polluting soft corals. The corals will shrink back away from the anemone but once it moves on most will "rebound" back to normal in time. None will withstand it permanently. If an anemone is to be introduced, preference of placement and care must be in their favor if the anemone is to do well.

As a general rule, anemone's will wander some when first introduced to the tank but once settled they shouldn't move again unless something changes in the tank. As long as water flow remains constant and light intensity/spectrum doesn't alter much, they should stay put. They wander becuase their needs are not met or changes are made.

One thing to very strongly adhere to is be very very sure the tank is stable and matured for some time. Some will say 6 month is sufficient but 1 year should be the absolute minimum IME. Personally I won't introduce one to a tank until about 1½-2 years. I would also highly suggest finding a clone/tank raised animal. They are far easier to adapt to new surroundings. The collection and transport practices of wild caught species leaves much to be desired. Your success rate of a clone vs a wild species is about 10 to 1 if not more.

Was your main goal a hosting species of anemone or purely decorative?

Cheers
Steve

my main goal was a hosting species because i was thinking about getting a clown or 2, but i would like a species that also stays fairly small. i know it is not neccisary to have an anemone for clowns but i thought it would be cool to see how clowns interact with an anemone.

mixing motile anemones and sessile corals is not only unnatural for most species/niches... but it is not practical at all.

I almost never recommend it. Frankly... I cannot recall when/if I ever did.

Its a bad long term mix that will cost perhaps many creatures lives in the tank if something goes wrong.

Although many people do it and get away with it for months... some years... that still does not make it right.

At least consider keeping the anemone in an inline refugium set up specially for it.

Anthony :)

thanks for all the help i think i will probly hold off on the anemone till i get more experience in the hobbey but thanks any ways.

excellent to hear my friend. Patience like this pays off with success in this hobby. And not only improives the lives of those you keep... but saves the lives of those you wisely pass on.

best of luck and life,

Anthony

anthony, isnt it true that some clowns will take to some corals as a host?

Although I love my anemones I have to agree that they can cause problems. I was lucky and mine stayed where I put them -- until I moved into a new tank. Now my big fellow is on the move and has about 1/3 of my 180 all to itself while I wait to see where it's going to settle! Fortunately about the only things in my tank that are permanently attached are mushrooms and star polyps so I haven't lost any corals, but a few were "bitten" before I moved them to safety.

They're beautiful, but think several times before adding one to your tank. :)

Last edited:
sryder... yes, true... and usually to the suffrage or even demise of the coral (as with LPS) for the unnatural and repetitive contact in the confines of an aquarium.

Do note that studies show more than half of all clowns live without (!) a host in the wild.

I assure you that they do not need them. You will not find a single profitable clonwfish breeder that used anemones.

And without a species tank for them both in aquaria, I would not recommend them.

Anthony

ok now im bummed. i noticed in the last couple of days that my ocelaris is taking to my hammer coral. should i now be concerned that my hammers fate is immenent?

you know i realy like both of these guys dont you...lol he hasnt taken to the hammer just yet but i did watch him move slowly to it putting his head in and then back off. he kept on doing this for an hour or so. he would also chase the chromis away every time they got close to the hammer. I guess ill be getting that fuge....lol good excuse for the wife.

I have also heard about a structure in a tank that one can construct using live rock. It is this separate pile of rocks that is separated by sand from the rest of your rock. This serves to keep the anemone on those rocks to help ensure that your other corals will not keep directly stung by the anemone. Bob Fenner references this idea in his book CMA (Conscientious Marine Aquarist).

P.S. I am still in favor of having specialized anenome systems. Just thought I would input for reference.

Goodluck

Back