soft corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spinoleo

I have a 36g corner would 1 65w compact fluorescent be good enough for soft corals or 2. I have a ballast that will do 1 or 2 lamps and I want to diy a hood.any comments would be help full

I have a 36g corner would 1 65w compact fluorescent be good enough for soft corals or 2. I have a ballast that will do 1 or 2 lamps and I want to diy a hood.any comments would be help full

all i know is the more watts per gallon is better, try and average around 5 and up that way you can kinda jump around in the coral department, such as sps, lps, and so on;)

yep u be surprise what u can get away with but as allready said two better and make it reflective. 32% of light is lost on other side of bulb. returnofsid doesnt even have them just fluorescent bulbs and the things I have recieved from him are very nice...

You'd probably be okay with 1 bulb but 2 would definitely be better and allow you to also keep LPS. If you could put 130 watts in the hood, you'd be WAY better off. Also keep in mind that certain algaes are low light adaptive and you might have more of a problem with algae with only 1 bulb. With 2 bulbs, you could put in a 10K and a Actinic Blue.

10k and blue attinic

You would be better off with both.just start it at about 14 inches from the water,and the combination of the two different colors will give a much more apealing look,and also allow you to provide a dusk to dawn lighting period

I only suggested 14'' as aq starting point.what ever you hang your light with,make it long enough to eventually be at 6''with another section on the light with s hooks so it can easly be raised or lowered for feeding and routine maintance.Its always better to adjust softies to light intensity starting with less rather than more.

I agree with sid, normally dont even go into shock when i put them under my 400 mh. I think that if you stick with your more hardy softies (mushrooms, zoas, leathers...) it will be fine.

good luck

-augustus

Back