Softie getting to BIG!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefreak

I'm A Reefoholic!!!
I have what I believe to be a Actinodiscus aka: True Elephant Ear "not a fish eating rodactus". This picture is a bit dated. It is currently about 15" or 16" diameter when extended during the day and has 7 mouths "looks like a really cool cup coral" I was considering selling it but want to know if anyone has had experience cutting a shroom this big? It is on 2 rocks and could easily be sliced right down the middle 2"-3" of flesh with a sharp blade. I don't really want to get rid of it but at least half of it needs to go, or all of it if it cant be divided without risking it harm.

Any input would be appreciated.

PS The seperate one on the lower right was removed along time ago

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/photos_members/showphoto.php?photo=4269&cat=500&ppuser=9085

Last edited:
Peice of cake...
just take a new razor make sure it is clean and sharp and cut it where ever you want. I cut my 2'' mushrooms like a pizza into 5-6 and they always heal up in a few days...
I might take a frag of it if you frag it successfuly..

Matt

well you can do what Matt says.
For me, i used to have a hairy mushroom that was getting really big, but then i put some xenias (by mistake) around him and it splitted by itself.

OK great.
I have fraged 100s of small shrooms just didn't know about cutting through something this size.

Thanks for the info... will let everyone know if I Frag it

agreed... just cut it. A sharp single edge blade (razor, X-acto, scalpel, etc.) and you do not need to have one moputh per frag, though it will hedge your best for survivability of the division. I also suggest skinning one half of each split frag away so that both cut sides get improved water flow and light for faster healing (use a sharp chisel to bite into the rock underneath the polyp and not touch tissue for removal of the frag).

Back