Some really yucky stuff

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

qsgirl1978

Hi guys how is it going.

I have a friend who has a 10 gallon nano and has this really hairy nasty stuff growing on the bottom he has tried to vacuum it out and it isn't working. He is now thinkin he is going to have to take everything out of his tank and treat it. is perc clown also has a funny growth on it looks like maybe a parisite. wondering if you guys have any idea how he might get rid of it. Might help to tell you that the clown is in another tank and nothin in that tank has any problems LOL. thanks for any help/

qsgirl

Is the hairy stuff green? Does the tank have a skimmer on it? Is he using RO/DI water? What are his water parameters? How often is he doing water changes? What livestock is in the tank? How much live rock and substrate? Depending on the answers to these questions, will be able to say if he needs to remove everything.

I don't know if I can help with the fish, as I don't know what the growth looks like. I'll start off with ich, since it is the first parasite I thought of. Here are some articles about it:

News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans - Part One of Five
News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans - Part Two of Five
News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans - Part Three of Five
News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans - Part Four of Five
News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans - Part Five of Five

The best thing would be to remove the fish and place in quarantine for treatment.

You might also find these links helpful:

FishyFarmacy
Aquarium Fish Illnesses - Treatment of Choice
Aquarium Fish Disorders - Saltwater Fish Diseases - Treatment of Choice, Part 2

Hope this helps a bit!

qsgirl1978 said:
His perc clown also has a funny growth on it looks like maybe a parisite.
Can you describe this a bit better and how long the clowns been in the nano? Given the description of the tanks "cleanliness", it could easily be a bacterial or Lympho (looking like a small bit of cotton) problem from water quality issues. Any sign of red blotchy area's or excess slime falling from the body?

Cheers
Stve

Back