Somebody has got to ask, is this an auction house

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
Classifieds were taken down against popular support as Admin felt the site had too much sales taking over the board. Now when you click to see what is new or todays posts, all you see are Sea King Aquariums auctions. Is Reef Frontiers now an auction site as the list of posts sure looks that way. . .

I wonder if they could have 2 different "newest" post areas 1 for normal stuff and 1 for sponsors

You have a very good point. I brought up the issue with admin. We'll see if something cant be worked out. It didnt seem to be as big of an issue last week, but he didnt have nearly as many items listed as he does this week.

Agreed. I opened RF as I do nightly, saw my cover page was nothing but Sea King Auctions, and then moved on to a different web site. I did not browse RF on either of the days that Sea King flooded the site with his auctions.

Why cant he just do it on his website? RF is for sharing and learning, fixing issues and trying to help fix issues. Not for making a buck. Thats what the classifieds are for. Selling. Classifieds arent even for auctions. Auction=Ebay, not Reef Frontiers.

Hmmm a lil uprising. I'd rather see em in the classifieds than my front portal page.
My .02
-d

yea I never had this issue with a sponsor before, I'll ask that he post his auctions on one thread as not to flood the forum.

Or maybe a special box on the front page with a direct link to the sponsors auctions, such as the one for Nata that is up there now?

Im all for a coral auction. But im not here for auctions. Ive got ebay for that. You dont want him posting all this in the classifieds either. What will end up happening is the classifieds will get flooded and whatever is for sale will be on the back burner. I like the idea of a "special" page for an auction.

I like Marty's suggestion, could we have/create a "Sponsors Special" box on front page that would link to a secondary page that could have any and all specials/sales/auctions etc... from any of our Sponsors ???

Cheers, Todd

Or maybe a special box on the front page with a direct link to the sponsors auctions, such as the one for Nata that is up there now?

I like Marty's suggestion, could we have/create a "Sponsors Special" box on front page that would link to a secondary page that could have any and all specials/sales/auctions etc... from any of our Sponsors ???

Cheers, Todd

I think this is a good idea too.

Kinda like a Sponsors sell box "Deals and Steals" Click on the name/Icon and boom ALL the "DEALS and STEALS". Two cent and a half :)

It's not that simple to do, the rights and ability to set this up takes some effort maybe not possible unless they were administrators and not sure how easy it can be done but for now I just need a fair solution to the issue.

Can we add on another "photopost classifieds" and name it for the sponsors for them to use only. Name the tab/link "Sponsor Specials" or something.
It can be used the same as the members classifieds. The auction can be posted and all bids can be posted there and nothing will interfere with the forums.

That will surely cost some. Not sure if you can run two Photopost Classifieds on the one forum or not. I would think you could.

Why cant he just do it on his website? RF is for sharing and learning, fixing issues and trying to help fix issues. Not for making a buck. Thats what the classifieds are for. Selling. Classifieds arent even for auctions. Auction=Ebay, not Reef Frontiers.

I understand what u guys are all saying but we shouldn't be singling him out
For trying to make a buck ALL the sponsors do some sort of posting to make a buck
And they are sponsors that are paying to be able to post right not trying to start anything but
He isn't the only posts that make it on the front page yes there have been a lot lately but
The other sponsors threads have been up there for arrivals and sales and such.
Like I said just putting my 2 cents in not trying to start a fight or get anybody banned or anything LOL!

I'm kind of with Scott on this one. I understand that Sponsors need the ability to post about their latest dry goods, corals and special sales and the RF sponsors have been doing exactly that for years and years. Sea King has found a way to take a thread on an open FORUM and turn it into an auction. He's not asking for opinions, showing off his latest shipment or even posting about a sale item. He is using each thread as an individual auction for one specific coral which is more suited for e-bay. I've never seen this behavior on any forum in my years as a reefkeeper.

Also, I think its unfair to ask Scott to alter the web site because of some unusual behavior of one Sponsor. If there were several sponsors asking for the same thing then I could see entertaining the idea.

Not to pick on any small business, but IMO this is an angle (or scheme) that SKA came up with to get an edge over the rest of the sponsors on RF. It surely shouldn't be rewarded.

Last edited:
I think the solution may be that when he creates the auction he just closes the thread, he can specifically ask for the users to Pm him the bids rather than post the bids. This will make it easier for him to keep track of who's doing what also. This way he can auction away and when users post on the forum the threads will not stay on top the list. I think this should be a fair solution, we have to support our sponsors and be fair across the board to the members also. We need the support of our sponsors to keep the site going, it takes every bit we have to keep it going.

Last edited:
Also, I think its unfair to ask Scott to alter the web site because of some unusual behavior of one Sponsor. If there were several sponsors asking for the same thing then I could see entertaining the idea.

Not to pick on any small business, but IMO this is an angle (or scheme) that SKA came up with to get an edge over the rest of the sponsors on RF. It surely shouldn't be rewarded.

Duane You and I get along just fine and again I'm not trying to start "S" but this statement above about this being a "scheme" I feel is a bit unfair. I'm pretty sure that SKA didn't go
About this to scam people, He probably had an idea and thought hey lets try this. It seems scooter has an idea that might work so that is good. And I am not a personal friend of
SKA or anything like that as I still haven't been able to make it to his store! I just hate these things that get started by a person and get somebody's rep bashed or somebody banned !

Duane You and I get along just fine and again I'm not trying to start "S" but this statement above about this being a "scheme" I feel is a bit unfair. I'm pretty sure that SKA didn't go
About this to scam people, He probably had an idea and thought hey lets try this. It seems scooter has an idea that might work so that is good. And I am not a personal friend of
SKA or anything like that as I still haven't been able to make it to his store! I just hate these things that get started by a person and get somebody's rep bashed or somebody banned !

I couldnt agree more. I had to go back to work so I couldn't edit my thoughts. I never intended for the word "scheme" to be a malicious thing, only an angle to help better business. Keep in mind, I was self employed for over twelve years and am well aware of how hard it is to drum up business. I wish SKA all the best and hope for many years of satifying profits out of the venture. If all else fails. He has all of us talking about him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back