Somewhat new to WA, definitely new to saltwater!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

AndrewH05

Hey everyone,

Little bit about me, my name is Andrew, and my wifes name is Megan, we moved out to WA last year after I got back from Iraq, we're both full-time military, I'm 22 and she's 21, we're definitely new to saltwater as our first tank a 55 gallon FOWLR cycled about 2 weeks ago, and we're already in the market for a 180+ gallon, more than likely the 215 gallon that Indoor Reef has sitting in the store. I do most of the 'heavy lifting' when it comes
to the tank, she really enjoys it as long as I keep the tank stocked with fish she deems as cool and acceptable, we started out with 6 damsels (big mistake more on that later), 2 clown fish and 2 chocolate chip starfish and a camelback shrimp.

We made the giant mistake of buying all of our equipment and beginning fish at Aquarium Paradise, but live and learn right? So we definitely over spent for no reason, as we started to travel the fish stores we stumbled upon Indoor Reef and we really love it there, so now 95% of our business goes to them. We quickly learned that Damsels are a big PITA and ended up taking the starfish, damsels, camelback shrimp and trading them in to Indoor Reef so that we could free up space and also have a reef safe tank. Currently our tank is stocked with 1 percula clownfish, 1 Huma Huma trigger, 1 domino damsel, 1 lawnmower blennie, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp and 15 snails, and our latest editions are 3 Kenya trees, 1 Xenia, 1 Torch (?), and a finger leather plus about 60 lbs of live rock. It took us about 2 hours to catch the damsels and required removing EVERYTHING but the crushed coral on the bottom, lesson learned.

I have a 48" T5 HO fixture with moonlights, there's roughly 4 wpg on top
of the tank. When we upgrade to a larger tank I will be employing 2 400w MH and possibly 2 250w MH along with supplemental actinic T5s. Thanks to Indoor Reef we signed up for PSAS the other night while we were there trading in those stupid damsels. This is a very addicting and rewarding hobby that we LOVE.

Well I just wanted to introduce myself and I hope that I will be meeting you guys for real, I'd really love to see some of the larger tanks you guys have, if anyone has a 180+ gallon tank and would like to allow me into their home so I can see and ask questions in advance to our upcoming large tank I would be very grateful. Well I've typed enough, can't wait to meet everyone.

Andrew

Welcome to the addiction!! It is a lot of fun. I havnt been at it all that long either. Its a lot more work than I expected, but so worth it. Good luck on the up coming big tank. There seems to be a lot of members in your area so I'm sure you'll find someone that'll let you pick their brain about big tanks. Good luck!!!

I'm in Afghanistan, but if you have any questions hit me up and I'll be happy to answer them. I believe I was in AP when you were buying your equipment. If it wasnt you some other poor soul got their terrible advice as well. Def check out Barrier Reef if you get a chance. Nicest shop around hands down....

I have a 180 gal tank. I'm sure Lisa would let you come over and view it. Just send her a PM at blackberry on here. It is a fairly new tank though with not much in it yet. You can ask any question on it to me via PM

Welcome to RF and PSAS..
Are you going to try and go to the speaker meeting this next saturday?
Mark Melevson is Going to be the guest speaker. :)

I see you live in tacoma also..
You could bring your wife over sometime..(I have a 125 penninsula )
Or hit me up if you need anything......

Last edited:
Ah someone else to add to the Tacompton crew! Welcome, you'll find that there are a few of us in the Tacoma area. Some are pretty well versed in reef tanks and some are new. I'm usually around to bounce questions or ideas off of.

Tom

Thanks everyone! Well we put a deposit down for the 215 gallon Oceanic tank w/ starphire glass, and also a Corallife MH fixture with 3 x 250w MH and 4 x 96w True Blue 03 actinics! Can't wait! Our apartment complex is making us move to a ground floor as well!

Thanks everyone! Well we put a deposit down for the 215 gallon Oceanic tank w/ starphire glass, and also a Corallife MH fixture with 3 x 250w MH and 4 x 96w True Blue 03 actinics! Can't wait! Our apartment complex is making us move to a ground floor as well!

lol! uh oh! someone got bit by the bug BAD! I was hoping someone would pick up that 215 that paul had, its a gorgeous tank.

Tom

lol! uh oh! someone got bit by the bug BAD! I was hoping someone would pick up that 215 that paul had, its a gorgeous tank.

Tom

Tom,

I'm not sure if you've seen the giant stars and stripes puffer that Paul has but we also put a deposit down on him, my wife fell in love with him o I convinced her we needed a much larger tank to make him happy! ;) The MH fixture came in as a trade in to Paul so we got the whole package for $1,500, which is an insane deal considering how beautiful that tank is, and that the fixture alone is $1,200, we were getting nervous someone was going to come swipe the tank and fixture from underneath us so we secured the tank, fixture, as well as the puffer! Our fish are going to LOVE their new home and were especially excited to see our 6 Green Chromis that we picked up school together! And we definitely got bit by the bug, 55 gallon > 215 gallon :D Atleast we know that we won't need to upgrade ANYTIME soon!

Andrew

Good to hear andrew. That puffer has been there FAR too long. If I had the tank for him he would have been at my house long ago. I take it that this 215 is going to be FOWLR then? as that puffer wont be reef safe by any means.

Tom

Good to hear andrew. That puffer has been there FAR too long. If I had the tank for him he would have been at my house long ago. I take it that this 215 is going to be FOWLR then? as that puffer wont be reef safe by any means.

Tom

Tom,

Actually we're going to try some of the softies we have with him, they wouldn't be any benefit to him as they won't help grind his teeth so were hoping (Paul and I) that he'll leave them alone, it's the hard coral that I'd be worried about! Plus he'll definyely stay well fed. I feel bad for him that he's been in that 12" wide 37 gallon tank for so long, I don't think that he'll know what to do with 200 gallons of space!

Andrew

Welcome to reeffrontiers bud. No go on the puffer. I had a golden puffer in my shark tank. I threw some low light corals in and he ate them up. If you want a fish only tank then hes a neat fish for sure. If you plan on keeping a reef, you wont want a large, destructive, aggressive fish in there. That puffer will nip at small reef fish, coral, and make a mess when he goes to the bathroom. IMO :)

Im really more concerned with my $100 worth of cleaner shrimp being a meal, but hopefully putting them in there FIRST will ensure their survival. I hope he remembers that they're the good guys from his time in the wild!

Andrew

You may be fine with a cleaner. I have had no personal experience with a puffer and shrimp but I did have a lion that would let the shrimp clean the inside of his mouth.

You could probably cut back on the lighting and save some coin. Halides are overkill for a fish only tank. Some N.O. lighting will cost alot less, and cost less when it comes to the power bill. If you like the halide shimmer try some 175's maybe?

You may be fine with a cleaner. I have had no personal experience with a puffer and shrimp but I did have a lion that would let the shrimp clean the inside of his mouth.

You could probably cut back on the lighting and save some coin. Halides are overkill for a fish only tank. Some N.O. lighting will cost alot less, and cost less when it comes to the power bill. If you like the halide shimmer try some 175's maybe?

It's really a package deal, the lights are coming with the tank, I'm planning on coral and possibly anemones, the puffer is not a for sure deal if he can't get along with the corals, which i'm anticipating that he won't, but I definitely DO want the lighting especially considering I'm getting a $1,200 fixture for less than half the price, I really like the light they put out, along with the moonlights and such, but obviously everything is in it's planning stages so nothing is for sure yet!

Andrew

I just wish my wife would approve a 200 Gallon tank for me.

I'm going from a 75 to a 90 for sure and am trying to get her sold on a 125. Hasn't been working out very well so far, but I think the more I grobble to her about it, the more acceptable she's becoming of it. =)

Hope your tank works out well, and hope you get to stay home for a little while before you have to go overseas again. I know I'm not looking forward to my next deployment...

It's really a package deal, the lights are coming with the tank, I'm planning on coral and possibly anemones, the puffer is not a for sure deal if he can't get along with the corals, which i'm anticipating that he won't, but I definitely DO want the lighting especially considering I'm getting a $1,200 fixture for less than half the price, I really like the light they put out, along with the moonlights and such, but obviously everything is in it's planning stages so nothing is for sure yet!

Andrew

i'm %90 sure that the puffer in question wont get along with just about any coral. I vote you go full reef, that tank would be so perfect for it. Heck! i'll even help ya set it up if ya need a hand.(if you go full reef of course j/k)

Tom

I'll help you out too if you ever make it to the ghetto of Federal Way. You can usually find me at midway tropical fish and pets on friday and saturday. some times you find fish there alot cheaper then everywhere else too*cough*

Back