Sound proofing a stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeez2474

I just got my 90g wide plumbed and running with tap water. I'm running a BlowHole 1450 as my return but its making a little more noise then I was expecting, I want complete silence. Has anyone ever used acoustic paneling in their stand? Its used to line ceilings and keeps sound in the room rather than passing through the ceiling. I'm thinking of using 3/4" or 1/2" panels on the front and sides of the tank( I dont think it matters if sound escapes towards the back or top of the stand); although I'm sure the inhabitants of the tank would appreciate soundproofing the top of the stand as well. I don't think I'd have any heat issues due to the panels trapping heat if the back was open. The BH1450 doesn't produce much heat and I will be running LED's, but I would like to see if anyone else has used this in their tank. Would it even be safe to use in an aquarium stand?

Thanks!
Kevin

Soundproofing a pump isn't too difficult. The first and most important is to isolate the pump from direct contact with the stand itself. Place The pump on some thick spongy poly foam, and ensure there is a flexible fitting between it and any PVC return. Lining the stand with foam board is fairly simple with either screws, or any tank safe adhesive.

Well I have the pump sitting on carpet right now, but its the pump itself that is making the noise. Its not loud, but its not silent either. Just trying to find a good way to trap the rest of the sound. I doubt the acoustic panels are 'reef safe' but as long as its just on the sides and front it wouldnt have any risk of contaminating the water. It was around 36$ for a box(which is way more than I'd use) of them at Lowes, so its an inexpensive fix as well.

What kind of spongey foam do you suggest that is reef safe?
Out of the tank, almost all are. The cement is a different story. It is only a real concern if you are cementing while fish are nearby. Some of the volutiles are toxic. For the board to the stand, Hot glue in moderation is always dependable...

Well I have the pump sitting on carpet right now, but its the pump itself that is making the noise. Its not loud, but its not silent either. Just trying to find a good way to trap the rest of the sound. I doubt the acoustic panels are 'reef safe' but as long as its just on the sides and front it wouldnt have any risk of contaminating the water. It was around 36$ for a box(which is way more than I'd use) of them at Lowes, so its an inexpensive fix as well.

If you lift up the pump off the carpet, does it get quieter?
1/2 and thicker insulation board is more stabile and easier to use. It is also more sound insulating

I know they also make sound deadening materials you can paint on for easy installation. Mostly a lot or car audio companies use the stauff but I have seen companies online that sell it for marine applications (boats that is).

Back