Spaflex in the walls?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

myindoorocean

Has anyone run spaflex in the walls? I need to run 3/4" pipe from my furnace room to my tank in the ceiling and walls and would prefer to use spaflex for at least part of the way. Anyone have any experience with that? I'm guessing any PVC probably doesn't meet code does it?

PVC IMO is far better than CPVC (drinking water grade) which is very thin and brittle which will meet code. PVC isn't used because its not drinking water approved but a far better product.. You should be able to use either spa flex or schedule 40 for the project your doing.

If you are plumbing in your walls and you would like very Flexable,Durable and easy plumbing PEX IMO is the BEST!!(this stuff is a polyurethane and very flexible so you can plumb with out putting so many 90s and or 45s for your turns!!! Hope that helps and it sells at your local Home depot!!

I'll check out pex. Is there a way to connect it to PVC?
Yes you sure can connect Pex to PVC only using a PEX Connector it makes your plumbing headache go away trust me I plumbed my home with this stuff!!! It bends real easy and withstands very cold wether without cracking or breaking!!! Good luck!!! Hope that helped!!

Make sure those pex connectors don't have copper in them. I know that the universal shark bite fittings do.

If memory serves me right, and it probably dont...lol, pex pipe is the only piping that meets code for in walls other than drain pipe. Pex can bend, constrict when its cold and expand when its hot and go back to its normal shape without deforming. I believe the state here was talking about it becoming code for new homes built after the nisqually quake we had. Im not sure if it became law or not. And +1 for looking out for copper.

you can rent the expander and use plastic fitting and expansion rings with the pex. Uponor is the original mfg if you want to look it up.

Not much. I am at Home Depot, they don't really have the parts I need in plastic. I need to connect to pvc. May just go with spa flex.

ah well there's your problem, Home Depot doesn't actually carry uponor/wirsbo parts. Only the shark bite brand stuff. If you were closer I'd let you borrow my expander tool

Thanks for the offer. I'm over in the boonies! I've got so little to do that I think spaflex is my best bet. Most of it is PVC that I can do with straight shots.

Please.... I recommend NO METAL type fittings DONT risk it wether it be Brass or ANY other type metals only use PEX,PVC!!!

joining pvc and the sorts of pex out there would require you to join the two pipes by a threaded fitting and all i see for pex threaded fittings are brass. i sure something could be rigged up though

Well, I saw some at an Ace store that were plastic, with a 3/4" male adapter, but I think they required what java referred to as an expander tool. I ended up getting some spa flex, going to try to make it happen tonight.

Back