Spindle weed invasion!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

StanleyLove

So, I have Spindle Weed (Neomeris annulata) growing ALL OVER my LR. I thought it was harmless at first, but now the stuff is everywhere. I try to remove it and scrub my rocks clean of it, but I swear every time I do that, it just gets worse. :mad::cry: It's a nightmare. Any suggestions on how to remove (or control) it? any ideas would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmmmmmm..... I had it to in my 65. I just pulled it out as close to the base as i could and it seemed to do the trick. Is it re growing were you pulled it from?? I hear (but have no proof) that you can control it with a lower calcium level. Hopefully more will chime in!

Where are you keeping your Ca, Alk, and Mg levels at?

How often do you do waterchanges?

What type of skimmer do you run and how much skimmate do you get in a week?

Most of the time, this is a quite harmless algae. However, I want to re-itterate that this is MOST of the time. Here's a friends tank from St. Louis that had a serious problem. (He wasn't testing Ca and alkalinity....he was just dosing based on a crazy thing called the bulletproof reef recipe and that's what caused his problem).

11194new_TANG_W_1.jpg

Please post a pic if you can. Am just curious about how bad this stuff can get in a tank. --- sorry it is causing you such a mess.

Another lesson to self to make sure I QT all LR and even corals before adding to main tank. - whew, so much to watch out for.

i had this stuff with no problems, it's pretty much disappeared now just with time, do you do anything like supplement calcium without testing, cause it seems to be a calcium skeleton sort of algae, so that might make it flourish excessively, just a geuss though

Hmm, it's kind of neat looking. I imagine if it wasn't taking over the tank it would look nice as part of the normal mix.

Josh

Back