Spiny Box Puffer Vitamins...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

balogh03

Hey Lee, i just have a quick question:
I have a Spiny Box puffer (what I beleieve is Chilomycterus antillarum), and it is hard to feed him much else but krill as that is all the LFS fed him for 3 weeks. I have gotten him to try tastes of silverside, sliced prawn (fresh~frozen :)), squid, and even a tiny bit of shark formula, but none of these are at any substantial amounts. I know that alot of krill can't be that good for him so I was curious what kind of vitamin I could give that would be able to supliment in some way. Right now I have been adding Zoecon but I don't know how well that does.

Anything will help.

Thank you,

-augustus

Both Zoecon and Selcon contain some vitamins. However, their 'claim to fame' is their HUFA content. They are best used as fat additives. Continue to use Zoecon, but alternate that with a more complete vitamin supplement. There are a few listed in my post: Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition.

An abbreviated list of fat and vitamin supplements looks like this:
GVH by H2O Life (one kind for foods, one kind for algae)
Selco (fats)
Super Selco (fats)
Selcon (fats)
Vita-Chem
Zoe
Zoecon (fats)
Others are available. Read labels closely.

Only buy small, fresh containers of these so you will use them up in less than 2 months. Alternate the manufacturer. Use one product for a couple of months, then switch to another.

Still, the supplements don't replace a varied and proper diet of the nutrition the fish will need in the long run. :)

Maybe you can get some ideas from this post: My New Fish Won't Eat -- Tips.

Good luck!

Back