Spokane Newbie to the Saltwater World

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lego

Greetings Everyone,
I joined this forum based on the recommendations from a friend/co-worker. After browsing for the past few days...I have to admit that your knowledge is both welcomed and overwhelming! I don't have any major questions right now that can't be searched for on the threads, but there are a few things I just would like some input on:

SETUP:
- 75 gallon bow front glass tank
- Single bulb w/ hood lighting setup from old freshwater tank
- (2) 150 Watt heaters
- Rio 3100 UL Submersible Pump (~900gph)
- Hagen Aquaclear 110(500) Power filter
- 70 lbs pre-cycled live rock
- ~3" aragonite sand

CONDITIONS:
- Salinity = 1.025
- Temp = 80 F
- Some bristleworms, copapods, and what looks like reddish/purple algae on a few pieces but nothing I would call an infestation.
* Buying all the right test kits and protein skimmers later this week...once I get the time.

QUESTIONS:
- Any suggestions for good, hardy, beginner fish/crustaceans/creatures? I am doing a FOWLR tank till I invest in better bulbs and get the hang of saltwater. I already want a bigger tank...but patience is key with this hobby. My main thing is I don't want my novice expertise to kill any fish.
- I am buying a good...no make that a great protein skimmer and was told I can replace the power filter once it is there. Is this true? Also, there is no sump setup for my tank...is it ok to do a HOB protein skimmer? Or should I redo it and plumb/drill for a sump?
- Should I replace any of the above equipment immediately? Is any of it sub-par or likely to cause me issues in the future?
- Is my tank cycled yet? It looks crystal clear and has a bit of life in it already...I have let it run for a good 7-8 weeks. (My guess is you will want to know the levels of Nitrates, etc. before you can answer that.)

Well everyone, thanks again for having set up this great forum and I have been pouring over the volumes of information you have put online. Take care and I should be stopping by the two highly recommended shops in the Spokane, WA, area sometime this week.

~ Lego

New lights will be key! I think you would also greatly benefit from a refugium with macro algae in it. You can do a hang on back refugium with a hang on back protein skimmer, or do a below tank refugium with the protein skimmer in the refugium. You would probably be more happy in the long run with a below tank refugium.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to RF!

Probably the best way to decide which fish you should put into your tank is to establish what kinds of fish you like and then research their care & compatibility requirements.

When you are out at the pet stores - refrain from buying fish, but write down the ones you like then come back here and do your research - Lee's fish forum has tons of great information on how to acclimate new fish, how to choose appropriate tank mates, and much much more :)

And lastly, I'd put your Rio pump on the "replacement" list along with your lights. The Rios are notorious for exploding and leaking harmful oils all over your tank and killing everything :( Not sure what you are using the pump for, but a good ol' Hagen, Mag, Maxijet, or Koralia pump will go a long way.

Rio Pump

The Rio pump is just a powerhead to move my water around (was a freebie from a friend's sw tank), but if they are a hazard like you said I will get something a bit safer. Thanks!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!! You'll find a great community here and a lot of us are from Spokane!!

Toss the RIO. Scary!! Maxijet1200s, Maxijet1200 with the maxiflow mod, or Koralia 3 or 4s are the way to go, with your size tank!!

I also agree with figuring out what types of corals and fish you want to keep, research their needs and then go from there on decisions for lighting upgrades.

Glad to hear you're getting a skimmer soon too!!

Thats all rios are good for.(salt mixers!) I lost almost everything due to one.

Your setup sounds nice! welcome here to RF... i got a couple questions for ya! Water! you are using RODI Correct? IF not, start changing out your water with only RODI water. The better your water, the better off your tank will be. I noticed you said there was some hair algae.... that means there could be some phosphates...... that hair can take over under the rite conditions.

Temp! i noticed that your temp is a lil high. 76-78 would be ideal. the thing is when summer hits you may over heat. I WOULD GET A HEAT CONTROLER!!!!!!! redundant protection on your temp is the only way to be sure you dont over heat. To many people have left to work to return to a dead fish tank. Learn from others mistakes! lol...

As for skimmers? sump ect........ most people use a sump so that there equip is out of sight, but you can get along with out it. That can be a future goal! Hang on the back skimmers are fine, just tune them. Maybe a HOB Fuge! thats what i did on our 40b.

Lighting is a must.... VHO or PC's

Happy Reeffing!

Something I didn't know when starting the hobby is it is best to have a separate food grade container or new rubbermaid garbage can, etc. to mix your salt water in and let it mix for 24 hours before adding the water to your tank. I killed a fish because I mixed the water and added it to the tank right away. It takes a while for the salt to dissolve.

I'm reefferman's wife and STRONGLY agree to remove the RIO powerhead from your aquarium and replace it with 3 maxijet 1200's. We do use a RIO powerhead to mix up new saltwater in a separate container. The motors on the larger RIO powerheads seize up and over heat the unit causing the top to crack open and leak electricity and oil into the aquarium. I came home to the worst smell of burnt oil and found all of our corals dead, a nice film of oil on the waters surface and a couple of fish laying on their side panting. The powerhead that blew up on us was a RIO 2100.

It's always good to have extra saltwater mixed. I was lucky to have new saltwater mixed and put one of our fish straight in the new saltwater when our aquarium was contaminated with motor oil. If I hadn't, he would've died. I was also able to do a water change right away.

It's best to have the powerheads pointed up so that the water flow aggravates the water surface to promote gas exchange. Which can be read up on here: http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=233

I would also buy the right lighting asap. PCs if you are only going to keep fish. T5s or metal halides if you plan on adding corals or anemones.

Definately buy an RO/DI unit if you don't have one or use Distilled water from the grocery store or walmart. The local fish stores might sale RO/DI water too, but I'm not sure.

Good beginner fish are damsels, but they can be mean, territorial and really hard to catch when you don't want them anymore. Our first couple of fish was a clown fish (also a damsel) and a bicolored blenny. We got our clown fish a rose bubble tip anemone though and ended up purchasing metal halide lighting as the anemones do best under high light.

When you purchase a skimmer, get one that is rated for more than your tank volume. The best hang on skimmer I've had is a turboflotor 1000 multi. It is rated up to 250gals and does great at removing waste from the water. It can also be used inside a sump if you decide to have one. The pump it comes with is kinda bulky though. http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/prskimmers/gr/aaprAMturbo100m.htm

Prizm skimmers are crap, so I wouldn't get one of those.

As far as your heaters go, if they're glass, I would replace them with the black shatter proof ones. I've read a lot of horror stories about glass heaters.

That's enough from me, I could ramble on forever...

Last edited:
Welcome! It sounds like you are off to the right start. This is a great place to learn and ask questions and there are a ton of local hobbyists with infinite amounts of knowledge to share.

So far I couldn't agree more with what was said above - focus on quality equipment that will do for the long time - buy it right and buy it once. No Rio's, no CPR skimmers (sorry to anyone who likes them), for a beginner considering a future reef go with t-5's (not as cost prohibative as other options either)...and most importantly BE PATIENT! Test frequently until your reading zero's on nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, then add a fish or two...it might be a lot of fun adding fish right away, but it sure isn't fun when they float!

Oh, and one thing that I think I do that not a lot of other reefers do is to keep a journal. Write everything down as far as when and what was added, costs, wants, tank chemistry, water changes, etc. etc. It really helps to preserve an accurate record that could be invaluable when problem solving, and it is kinda fun!

Have fun!

Last edited:
Hello welcome to the site of all dreams in the salty world!l.o.l.Welp U have some good things on here to start.I would definatly start a below sump/refuge.I have had one from the get go.Just remember Nitrate nitrites and amonia at this point and the rock per gal/pound bit!I have plenty of grass and xenia and some other softie corals if u are intrested!And mike (returnofsid)He is the quick problemsolver..My best resource for info and cool coral.I think he should be called the coral mobile.U will learn more about that later .So ask often surf allot and keep us posted!

Back