Spongodes Monti spreading on live rock, best way to stop this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

10gnano

My spongodes monti started encrusting a chunk of my live rock, what is the best way to stop this from happening? It has become more of a nuisance than anything else. It has begun killing other corals and I want to stop this before the entire rock becomes covered. Any suggestions? I used plumbers putty for a bit, putting strips in between the corals so they would not touch, but I would like something more permanent that can take a large portion of this back.

If I didn't have such a small setup and limited space for corals I would let it grow out. Would be a pretty cool piece.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I keep mine isolated on the sand for that very reason. Kalk paste will kill it but it will grow back unless you move the parent rock it is on away from your live rock.

Cheers,
Kevin

Going to have to move it to it's own neighborhood. It is a well known aggressive grower.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Hello,
I keep mine isolated on the sand for that very reason. Kalk paste will kill it but it will grow back unless you move the parent rock it is on away from your live rock.

Cheers,
Kevin

Can I mix this up and spray it on the coral in the tank? Will this trickle to others and kill them? I'm guessing I will most likely have to take the rock out of the tank.

I know realize it was a poor placement on my part. Lesson learned. I plan on finding a new home for it.

I would take a new chunk of rock and place the monti on it...that way when it starts encrusting that rock you can move it around with ease.

I mix the kalk to a honey consistency and apply it with an old test kit syringe. Just lay a bead along the edge where you want the coral to die off. It will harden quickly. Make sure you don't have high water flow right on the area for a few min.

Regards,
Kevin

Back