SPS color do to my lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

El Salvador

Please help. I have a 2' cube with a single end bulb and a 400W HQI B. I am using a 20K radium bulb. Was hoping to get deeper color out of my corals but the color is just not there. I also use two 2' VHO blue lights.
I have check for Phosphates and they are next to nothing.
I am going to change my buld here in 3 month and was hoping to get some help.

My water values are great.
SPS growth is great... Just the color is not deep enough for me. I guess I should just be happy with my growth ha?

Any help with brand and K's would be great. Pictures under the type of lights would be even better. We all love pictures.

Thanks everyone.:cool:

SPS growth is great... Just the color is not deep enough for me. I guess I should just be happy with my growth ha?

Well are the corals browning out or becoming too light in color ? You say the parameters are great but could you post them ? Are you using a Calcium Reactor if not what are you using to maintain your cal/alk ?

I have been sick.

Sorry everyone, but I have been out sick since my post went up.

The corals are not browning out; they just don’t have the color I have seeing at the LFS where I get them up. I feed my fish once per day. Brine shrimp and missies. I feed my corals (my tank is 95% SPS) 3 times per week. I feed them Oyster eggs and cyclopies.
I starting to think it might be might be my lights. I think when my light come do for a change I will be using a 14K not a 20K bulb. If there anything else other then a Radium I should be using???
I guess I should let you know that my tank has been up just a little over one year and most of my corals are about 4 to 5 month old. They are growing fast; I just don’t see the color that they should have. Then again I should just be happy with the growth.
I wish I had a nice camera so I could take some pictures then what I have. I will take some pictures and try to post them.
Thanks eveyone.

Calcium at 440
Alkalinity at 11 DKH
Phosphate .01
Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.025
PH day 8.2 Night 7.9/8

Back