SPS in 673gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefadict

I'm planning to have some sps (Im new in this types) in my 673 tank, I have 7 MH (4 400w and 3 250w) and a good flow for sps, but my nitrates dont get lower than 10. Does it affects the keeping of sps? If so, what can I do to drop it?
I have a refugium, don't have bio-balls in my wet/Dry, have a good flow.

What can I do?

Hola! Bienvenidos a las Reef Frontiers!

The main problem with 10 ppm of nitrates is the growth of algae that can overgrow you corals. If you put some Chaetomorpha in your refugium the nitrates will drop to 0 in about 14-21 days.

Saludos,
Kevin

I run it on some tanks 24/7 and on others just 12/7. I use VHO's but PC's or T-5HO's will work too. You can even use halides :D

Regards,
Kevin

Welcome to Reef Frontiers ReefAdict!!!

While you are getting more happening in your Fuge, I would also suggest you attempt to localize down where your source of the higher Nitrates are comming from. Over feeding? Detritus, possiblly in overflows? Filter socks or sponges not changed frequently enough? What is your Phosphate level?

Finding the source of those Nitrates, along with an agressive Fuge will help lower those Nitrate levels quickly for you!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks guys, I think the problem could be over feeding... I feed twice a day. But the problem is that I have around 60 fishes...

60 fishes???

WOW!!! :)

That must be one activity packed fish tank you have there! :) :)

I can see where you would feed twice a day with that heavily stocked tank, but it may be possible for you to feed slightly less, ensuring that all of the food you feed every time actually gets eaten. Otherwise just continue monitoring and see if you can get a more active Fuge happening to help with exporting the waists.

you could try nori as that is a little more natural and doesnt polute as much. the only problem is that with that many fish a sheet of nori would be gone in a matter of seconds:shock: . my one tang alone manages to devoire a sheet by himself, although he is kind of a rollie pollie:lol: .

anyways, hope you find a solution!

You didn't say how old your tank is, but I assume with 60 fish (!) it's well-established. After curing the rock in my tank it took about two months for the nitrates in my tank to reach zero, and that's with a fuge, heavy skimming, and massive water changes.

Well, I set it up in December 2005, it doesn't have a year yet. It wasn't easy to set the other parameters. Im gonna post pics soon...

Back