SPS in nano, update w/pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
I went out and used up most of my credit @ Barrier Reef yesterday, and picked up an ORA pink birds nest, and an Un-IDed ORA coral labeled only as "Marshal island purple/green polyps". Maybe someone will recognize it? Anyhow, it didn't have super long polyps or anything seen at the store, and looks the same here, so I can't really tell if its unhappy, or just how it normally looks. The bird nest looks happy as can be, nice PE.

Crappy birds nest shot
BirdsNest_5171.jpg

The Marshal Island, a few different photos
MarshalGreenSPS_5157.jpg

MarshalGreenSPSFlash_5170.jpg

MarshalGreenSPS2_5214.jpg

Overall tank shot
NanoTankFlash3-10-08_5240.jpg

Trying to take some good actinic photos and failing
NanoCornerActinic3-10-08_5250.jpg

Looks like a tri-color. Nice piece. I would probably move it up a little higher though. That should color up pretty nice for you.

Hey Brie make sure and give them alot of random flow as well. Looks like you got a couple of nice pieces. I hope they hold their color under those p.c.'s :)
Nice job on the nano!:D

Hey Brie make sure and give them alot of random flow as well. Looks like you got a couple of nice pieces. I hope they hold their color under those p.c.'s :)
Nice job on the nano!:D

Yeah, I just got those ZooMed rotating powerheads in at work, will be buying the smallest model soon as I get payed. I think the whole tank will benefit from some random circulation.

But thanks, I hope they do ok too.. The whole idea of getting these was to go with ORA corals since they're raised under natural sunlight @ the ORA farms, so transition to a tank with just PC light hopefully wouldn't be too much of a shock for them.

Looks like a tri-color. Nice piece. I would probably move it up a little higher though. That should color up pretty nice for you.

A tricolor what? acropora?

I'm going to be buying the JBJ Viper HQI to go on my tank so i'm hoping it'll be ok lower in the tank for now until I can get that light on there.

A tricolor what? acropora?

I'm going to be buying the JBJ Viper HQI to go on my tank so i'm hoping it'll be ok lower in the tank for now until I can get that light on there.

Yes a tricolor acro. It should probably be ok for a while. It should do really well with the viper light. Are you going with the 70 or 150W?

Yes a tricolor acro. It should probably be ok for a while. It should do really well with the viper light. Are you going with the 70 or 150W?

The 70w. I think 150w halide over a 12" tall 8gal tank would fry everything. lol.

Yeah, I just got those ZooMed rotating powerheads in at work, will be buying the smallest model soon as I get payed. I think the whole tank will benefit from some random circulation.

But thanks, I hope they do ok too.. The whole idea of getting these was to go with ORA corals since they're raised under natural sunlight @ the ORA farms, so transition to a tank with just PC light hopefully wouldn't be too much of a shock for them.

Those zoo med rotation power heads are ok... giving you a heads up... The pal of mine at Tacoma Tropical Fish and pet and myself have an issue with it...and it seems Ryan over at Midway pets had the same issue as well ..

If you take off the bottom (snap on and off) ...you will see a gear with a metal rod...and then the Nozzle has a Grooved Hinge on it....the rod moves inside this hinge and causes the nozzle to rotate left to right as the power head has a flow pumping.

The problem(by design I think) is with tension the rod will slip out of the track and sit outside the hinge ...making it stop...

I recently trimmed the long plastic stem (on the nozzle) by a 1/3rd on the nozzle... it seems the nozzle doesnt sit flush inside giving it freeplay so with the slightest tension...the rod displaces and the sucker stops moving.

So far its working good now..and has not failed anymore.

You may want to consider mcgyvering a new rod that is a tad longer or epoxy a washer on it so it doesnt slip off.... I havnt tried it yet.

Personally: I would find another brand.... its giving my friend trouble at Tacoma Tropical... Ryan (rest in peace) at midway is no longer there.:cry: But I did warn there new guy about the issue.

I would go with the 150watt. It will take that and both acros up pretty high to retain the color. Remember to slowly acclimate your tank with the new light, or you will fry everthing. Its not so much the light as the initial shock to the improved intensity.

Last edited:
Back