SPS Turning White

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nodough

At the base of several SPS corals the bases are turning white, like bleaching white. I have cut the infected portions off twice but the problem keeps coming back. Mainly on an acropora and stylopora. These were frags to begin with so I don't have much left to work with after clipping them twice. Any suggestions as to what is causing this and a solution to the problem. All water parameters are in line, temp 78.8, ph 8.29, cal 428, mag 1350, no nitrates or nitrites. Skimmmer runs continious, lighting is 320 watts VHO, and 750 Watts MH. 20% water change weekly.

What size tank is this? Could you tell more about the MH lighting? It sounds like there bleaching out. Are just the frags doing this? Do you have more coral that is doing well?

180 Gallon Tank, no all I have are frags, tank been up for about 7 years, started my own company and didn't have time for it, now I am starting anew with frags. Other frags do not seem to have this problem. MH 3, 250 watt bulbs, about 6 months old, approx 18" above corals. the corals in question are located about mid way up in the water column.

I am sure someone will pipe up on this that has more experience nodough. I have come to learn also that some corals just die. I have mostly sps and most fare well. But there are those times that i get a perfectly good coral from the lfs and it go's south after hitting my waters. I would bring your water in to the lfs and see if your tests and theirs are the same. Salinity also. I found my salinity was very high causing me all kinds of grief because of a poor swing arm. My tank is doing great since i calibrated a new one with the stores. I also switched salts recently to Tropic Marin Reef Pro. So far my tanks health is incredible from this change over.

Hello,
It can be very difficult to find the cause of the problem with the few corals that lose tissue and die when other corals in the same tank are doing well. Everything you listed looks fine to me but I noticed that the alkalinity reading is missing (one of the most critical IMO).

One of the things you can try is to make sure the base of the coral is receiving good flow in an alternating pattern.

Regards,
Kevin

You also don't mention what type of flow you're running. I used to have problems with sps rtning all the time even with great water params. I then increased my flow to 25 times my tank volume and it work like a charm!

super glue

Believe it or not a certain moderaters son told me to apply superglue to the affected area,and i've been doing it ever since.If it is white band desease this seems to stop it and new growth begins to appear above.

Back