SPS Very near surface

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've got a couple of questions regarding a recent move I made with some of my SPS. I made this move to bring my SPS and T. Croceas closer to my lights. My lighting is a Sunlight Supply, Tek5, 6 bulb T5 HO unit.
I acquired a huge piece of live rock, which enabled me to build my live rock up higher in my tank. I also did some re-arranging to make more room for coral growth. In the process of all this adding and aquascaping, I moved some of my SPS up very high. In fact, I now have a Purple Monti Digitata, a Purple Rimmed Monti Cap. and an Orange Monti Cap. very near the surface, within about 2 inches.
My question is, what will happen to these corals as they continue to grow? All 2 of these corals are growing quite quickly. Will they stop growing upwards as they hit the surface and start growing our instead? As they get closer to the surface, do I need to lower them?
Any and all suggestions or comments are welcome. I will try and get some pics posted but leave town tomorrow so we'll see how much time I have. Thanks all!!

Last edited:
once they reach the surface they will start to thicken up. The area exposed to air will die off and it should gradually grow outward. Not really that attractive IMHO>D

Here is a picture of a Acropora coral that has reached the surface with several branches. Due to fluctuations of the water level the top 3/16" of the branches are dead giving algae a place to grow. Over time the lower branches will begin to die as the upper branches begin to shade out the light. This is especially true with plating corals which are not very attractive when viewed from the bottom as they have little color from that angle.
IMO it is best to provide at least 12" for corals to grow to more normal shapes and sizes.

Regards,
Kevin
A_yongei-A_formosa.JPG

So I need the base of the corals at least 12" from the surface? These particular corals are about 7" and 9" from the surface. I definitely don't want the tips dying off due to being out of water. I guess I'll frag them as they get to the surface. Maybe I should consider moving them back down just a bit. I'm sure once I get a new skimmer and new bulbs, that'll make a lot of difference in coloration and moving them higher won't be as needed.

Kevin, is it OK during a water change to let the acro be exposed briefly to air?

I wonder this because mine is high and also I think with real ocean tide corals are sometimes exposed to air.

Whats your thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance

Many corals are exposed during periods of low tides.

Fragging them when they hit the surface is a good idea if you want to keep them high in the tank. It really depends on where you want them and how fast you want them to grow...

If you are going to perform a water change leaving coral exposed, I would suggest turning off your lights during the interim. While they do just fine in the wild with full sunlight, the little prevention we can provide in this way can't hurt. G'luck! D

Every three weeks when I do a 150 gallon water change I have approximately 90"x30" of corals exposed for 30 min. or so. Most of them are 9-12 inches from 400W halides. It does create some slime when the tank refills but in the last 3 years the only coral that had a problem was the Montipora digitata because I had a fan blowing on it at the same time. In the tropics the air is quite humid so evaporation is much less of an issue compared to my house which averages 20-30% RH.

I would recommend turning off your halides when having the corals exposed also.

Regards,
Kevin

Back