sps's with leather corals?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
I heard you shouldnt mix them?

I have a devels hand and another small one im not sure exactly what it is but its a leather i plan on getting some sps this weekend.

Should i sell the leathers?

It is doable, but not recommended. I have a few leathers and a sps together. Running carbon and frequent water changes will help.

Well i will go ahead and sell them its only a 29 gallon tank and one of the leathers is HUGE! Or maybe just keep the little one.

Ive been running a mixed reef for three years. Recently, I made the choice to remove my one leather, ten rics, a few zoas and a medium sized hynophora from my 450G system. Within a week I could tell a huge difference in my SPS. They are sooo much happier now.

oh really so the LPS and zoos did it too??

It all adds up............. Mostly, Id bet it was the leather and the hyndophora.

I removed the hyndophora a week after the rest but both times, believe it or not, I could see visible improvments in SPS polyp extention. The hynophora was a huge difference in just 12 hours on that end of the tank. I was shocked. Ive had most of these corals since day one.

Now I'm not so carbon dependant

sweet so the hyndophora's gonna stay in the 29.. Thanks for the heads up brother..
I really gotta get some carbon running LOL

Well the zoos stay in the big tank but the leathers are going back to the small tank...
LPS and SPS and zoos for me...I'll run carbon...

I have a some zoos and rics in my current tank should i take them out too? probly 10 rics now, and a small little rock of zoos. But its only a 29 gallon tank.

I was thinking about setting up a 10 gallon anyways if so. :D

Mushrooms arent as toxic as leathers and GSP, but like all softies will take a toll on your water quality.

That is why I stick to just LPS and SPS.

This is what most reefers that like SPS end up with. Others end up going with LPS and softies. The three rarely mix well. Its just less headache to make the choice.
Of course, there is alwayts the exception to the rule. I was able to get away with mixing the three for two year in my 120. IN my 210 it just wasnt working.

Last edited:
Sorry im horrible with acronyms GSP? I havent tried learning the scientific names of everything yet either lol. Im working on it!

Good to know though! I guess i will set up my 10 gallon tonight.

Oh right i knew that! You will see i really am horrible with acronyms i think this is te fourth time i have had to ask. lol

Hello,
On average it's best to not mix the Sinularia and Sarcophyton corals (Leathers) with LPS and SPS types coral. Running carbon, regular water changes, running ozone, and tank volume to coral size are variables that make it hard to be specific. I have experienced some LPS unaffected while others inches away would get smaller and smaller after each water change. Upon doing a water change it would expand back to the original size. These are the types of things to look for as you observe the interactions between your animals and take action as needed.

GSP (Green Star Polyps) are considered among the most toxic for chemical production. Mushroom corals and Zoanthids are mostly a threat from physical contact as they have the ability to sting their neighbors more than most SPS can sting back.

Cheers,
Kevin

Thanks kevin!

I have removed the leathers from my tank and have done a 10 gallon water change. I have a couple mushrooms, a small rock of zoos, and a pulsing xenia, along with other lps corals in the tank now, i will be adding a brain coral and some sps soon, so i hope all goes well.

I am on the search for a nano tank to put the rics and xania and maybe some of the lps too.

I had a huge toadstool leather decide to wage chemical warfare with my sps corals a few years ago. It killed about half of the sps I had at the time. I have since gotten rid of all the soft corals, but unfortunatley a few mushroom polyps and green star polyps made it past us and those are now growing in our sps tank.

We bought another tank so we can move our RBTA and clowns out of our sps tank and the green star polyps are on the same rock that will go with them. The mushrooms will be staying for a while though as they attached to one of our large display pieces.

I have a mix of sps, lps and zoas in another tank too.

Back