stand sealant

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

HUNTER01975

redneck reefer
So last night I picked up a stand for my tank it is in raw form so I will have to seal it tho.

Any word of wisdom on this?

here is a pic of it after i got it home i had to put tank on it and sump under it just to see how it would work. Also was thinking about putting a heavy curtain material around the front and sides and leaving the back open is there any issues with that? Was thinking maybe a mildew problem?

yes i know the plumbing is going to have to be changed..

967E0AC2-97DD-4D20-85B6-9938B21C1DB1-4948-0000071577EE314F.jpg

Marine Varnish and Polyurethane finishes are a couple of easily applied finishes that would work for you. Minwax Poly-Shades is something easily found and is a stain and finish combined product. One important safety issue I see with stand is it does not have shear panels to keep it from twisting and would highly suggest adding them to at least the ends. With that tank full of water even a small child pushing on the glass could/would collapse it. Dave (peppie) should chime in here shortly.

Cheers, Todd

I am not sure what those shear panels are I will have to google that..

The legs do bolt on like a dinning room table leg if that helps where there are the 2 bolts.

I do have a small kid at home and was planning on strapping the stand to the wall to avoid the tank falling over. I was thinking some plumbers tape screwed in the back side of the stand then into the studs in the wall.

+1 on the stand needing a lil more sideways/twisting support. As for the sealing, i just used helmsmans spar varnish. Got it at lowes. They use it to seal the woods on a sailboat, so i figured it do good on the stand. Almost 3 years later, no problems. It has a kind of honey dried finish.

Ok thanks google so after alittle picture reading I think I get it..
well I did want to add some sort of pan for the sump to set in so incase little small drips and what nots it is not on the floor. if i make some sort of pan this should help with that. Also i could just cut a some 1x4 and trim around the top right under the lip of the top. thoughts? plus it is going to be screwed to the wall..

I just refinished a stand and used a product that Peppie turned me on to. It is Min-Wax Wipe On Poly.
32796-01-500.jpg

You just wipe it on, when it dries use a 220 grit to lightly sand, then recoat. I did 4 coats and its like glass, very easy to work with. I am not a woodworker and it was easy for me to do. To apply, use these pads. Cut one in half to get double use. They are completely lint free and do an awesome job. They have a "gran" to them so make sure you are wiping the same direction.
22384002005_p0_v2_s600.JPG

COOL thanks i will be going to the hardware store to pick this stuff up tommorow... I am not a wood guy either so anything to make it that much easier the better...

So the legs topic this is what my legs look like under it.. these are not mine a pic off the old interweb..

Do i still need to be very worried? I am going to strap it to the wall.

images

Back