Standardizing Marine Systems - New aquarium business looking for ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hello:

I'm not new to the marine aquarium hobby and have a great deal of experience in nano reef tanks, however, my business is currently dealing with larger tanks at this time. Please keep in mind that my target customers are from medium to high-end clientèle they expect their displays to be kept in prestige condition at all times and are willing to pay. I am looking for a formula that I can use with my customers in order to give them a basic understanding of marine systems for different types of aquarium setups whether it be FO, FOWLR, or REEF. I had generated a simple formula: $50 per gallon for FO and $75 per gallon for REEF, but am looking for something more concrete.

I know that there are several different options of Lighting and Filtration for each of these aquarium setups. I also understand that an aquarium with FO doesn't necessarily need as much light as a REEF setup, but will need more filtration to compact the increase in waste. Knowing there are many more options for filtration whether it be biological, mechanical, or chemical. As well as many types of filtration there are many options of where to place these filtration components.

Over the last year I have done a great deal of reading from requirements of fish and inverts to different types of aquarium systems. However, when I look back to these readings I become very confused because it seems everyone has their own opinion into what has worked for them. This is where my confusion is starting to boggle my mind and making it difficult for me to get customers. My LFS that I started from has had great success in keeping an aquarium with a wet/dry filter and protein skimmer, but I'm not sure this is the best option for a reef tank. I am looking for low maintenance with prestige display such as crystal clear water, little to no algae, and beautiful fish/inverts

My reasons for posting this topic is to ask for help in developing a matrix formula I can use with my customers in helping them develop a budget for an aquarium setup. This matrix formula will include options that involve basic, medium-end, and high-end models. I would like to develop a list of models for each FO, FOWLR, and REEF setups. I understand that it may not be possible to summarize REEF setups into these three model categories so I think it would be best to open up the REEF setup to include three sub-categories: Low, Medium, High-end Lighting. I understand that lighting and filtration is dependent on the size of the aquarium, but lets just keep this simple. There would be a size difference making 3 basic groups: 50-100 gallons, 100-200 gallons, and 200+ gallons.

Please keep in mind that I have a mind that thinks like an engineer and I understand that there are many ways to construct a tank of variable sizes, please lets keep this simple. Also, I know that lighting requirements change according to animals and depth of tank. Let's try to stay away from watts per gallon as this provides little help in a mathematical equation. Remember that I am not looking for brand names at this time unless you know they are the only ones that will fit into this system.

I am looking to provide my customers with a service package based on 2 or 3 times per week visits. So if my clients need to do something on a daily basis it would have be kept to the minimal no more than 5-10 minutes a day and my weekly services would have to be kept to 15 minutes. My monthly services would be 30-60 service time.

Finally, remember my clients are willing to pay for the increased cost to insure that their investment will stay at top quality so much so they are willing to invest in natural seawater to avoid any problems or conditions not supplied in salt mixes. I would like to thank you for your suggestions in advanced and look forward to this becoming a popular post as I think this is an untapped niche in the aquarium industry.

On a side note: I hope to use the information gathered in this post to write an article to help others looking to expand their hobby into an income.

Thanks.

How to say this without sounding like a jerk...

Doesn't sound like you're looking for ideas, but for someone to write your business plan for you. From what I read, it just sounds like an aquarium setup/maintenance business focusing on high end clients. No "untapped niche" there. Your best bet would be to do some investigative work on your competition in your specific locale and go from there. Most likely, that will determine your pricing and not necessarily what it takes to get the job done.

As far as how to setup and maintain a system... well - if you don't have the experience to develop your own "opinion" as to what it takes to run a system, I can't say that asking folks on a forum will help you to form that opinion! You'll get more differing opinions here (or any forum for that matter) than you've read already!

How to say this without sounding like a jerk...

Doesn't sound like you're looking for ideas, but for someone to write your business plan for you.

Have you ever heard..."It's better to say nothing, if there is no way to say it nicely." Maybe you should have considered this before you posted a reply.

As far as the business plan is considered...I already have that written and prepared. I have also already done my research and one of the reasons for choosing to do this business is because of no such competition in my area therefore there is no way to compare, hence my need to for some suggestions.

you are going to have to rely on your own mark-up (profit margin) to determine the answers.
80% of your cash flow will be from maintenance- not sales.
Sales may get you going but maintenance will keep you afloat.
check out other sites and determine your maintainers costs
There is no easy formula but you can put together your three packages (FO, FOWLR,Reef)
and price them accordingly with all having mid range equipment. this part is up to you as you have to determine what all is "upgradable"
your going to have to spreadsheet it...

p.s. High-end clients still have spend low end money and vice versa ...dont let your clients determine your profit margin.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard..."It's better to say nothing, if there is no way to say it nicely." Maybe you should have considered this before you posted a reply.

Actually, I did consider it and while you may not believe it, I believe my reply was quite nice compared to others I'd typed out and deleted! :)

The reason I did reply at all is because I believed it was important to get across that what is said here really is a small part of how you price your service. From my experience in various industries, "what things cost" really doesn't have much to do with how you set your pricing... except for the fact that you don't want to lose money!

Good luck!

I thought the above guys were honest, you wanted a response, you got it........

It all comes down to what your time is worth for maintenance and house calls.

Using your figures, for a salt fish only tank, You think a 50 gallon tank at $50 a gallon really will cost you $2500 to set up? ouch. I wouldn't want you doing my 135 gallon thats for sure.

Back