starting a tank soon need some help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedyrb29

ok hopefully end of augest ill have my tanks begining cycling. now i have a 75 gallon tank and its going to have a sump made from a 20 gallon which will hold the corlife supere skimmer the big 1. and im going to have a 10 gallon fuge. my 1st queastion is what heater or heaters whould i use?
my other queastion is how can i divide uo my 20 gallon to make baffels with out welding them to the glass is there some type of rubber i can put between sheets of acrilic or glass to make baffles?
as of right now i wont be doing any co2 or calcaium reactor.
also what test kits are good?
and what salt is good?

thanks for your help

Use silicon to hold the baffles. It can be scraped off glass with a razorblade if you ever want to reclaim the tank. IMO Salifert tests are the best for the money. As far as salt goes Instant Ocean is prob the most common and cheapest. Which is best depends on who you ask and which way the wind is blowing when you ask.

Sounds like fun fun fun!:) Let's see...

my 1st queastion is what heater or heaters whould i use?

Here is a recent thread that will give you some ideas on the preferred heaters and the ones to stay away from:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16913&highlight=heaters

my other queastion is how can i divide uo my 20 gallon to make baffels with out welding them to the glass is there some type of rubber i can put between sheets of acrilic or glass to make baffles?

I've been searching for the thread where someone mentioned something you can buy for your baffles to slide in and I can't seem to find it right now. I'll keep looking and if I can find it, I'll post the link if no-one chimes in before:)

also what test kits are good?

As for test kits, Salifert is the best way to go IMO. A lot of people use them and find them to be most reliable. As for which ones will be good to have, I'd say PH test kit, calcium, magnesium, alk, nitrate, possibly phosphate and ammonia and nitrite during cycling because you will want to watch those levels so that it can tell you when cycling is complete:)

and what salt is good?

Instan Ocean is all I've ever used and seems to be the most popular going by a few past polls. Best of luck with the new setup and I'll see if I can locate that link:)

i think most people prefer instant ocean and have the least problems w/ its chemistry...also, for a test kit, i like the visual test..you just look at it and see if it looks like it needs anything!!!j/k i have no idea about the best test kits.

Back