Starting my first Aquarim

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

f1504b4

I have every thing going good,my sump refugium is being built.
Thanks Krish.
Have my lights on order.
Have made my mind up on the LR and sand for a DSB.
Now to my next ?.
I have a RO unit.
Should I mix up my salt water first and keep it heated and circulated with a power head in my 30 gallon containers.Put my sand in the aquarium and fill it up half way,then put my LR in and aqucsape it and then top it off?
Phil

Rememeber the most important thing when starting a tank, go slow, as slow as you can and you will be happy and save a ton of money and the life of alot of livestock.

sounds like a good idea....you really don't need to heat it, but mixing it prior wouldn't hurt anything....actually, it wouldn't hurt to put alot of the water in first and let it mix overnight, then add the sand in..this will help with keeping the sand in place

Good luck on the setup Phil!! Your plan sounds pretty good to me!:) When I use to use sand, I would add my sand in first and put a dish on it and use that as the spot to pour in my water so it wouldn't send sand everywhere, but your approach sounds good. As already mentioned, you don't have to heat up the water seeing you are just starting up, but if the water is extremely cold, I would probably warm it up some before adding in the rock just incase you may have some life in the rock that may not appreciate extreme cold water. Just a thought...Good luck again:)

Back