starting new refugium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltyspring

i have a 125 g top tank and a 90 g sump with three chambers. I plan on growing chateo in a bed of sand in the second chamber, with a floodlight.I have a microbubble problem first off, how do ifix this? second , my live rock is pretty new. i have a few feather dusters and purple and green coraline algaes are starting to appear, but still pretty spotty, no copepods can be seen, i heard of a web site called oceanpods in which you can buy a b ottle of copepods to seed the tank. should i putr these copepods in the refugium or the main tank?

Welcome to RF if I haven't welcomed you already!:) About the micro-bubbles, is the problem because they are being returned to the main tank? If so, usually people put a bubble trap in their sumps to prevent that from happening which is a a series of baffles (about 3 or more) spaced about an inch or so apart that allows water to flow over, under, over, under etc. Also, some people put a sponge before the water enters the final chamber to catch in-coming bubbles from reaching the return pump, but you'll have to stay on top of cleaning the sponge because if you let it go too long, it can degrade water quality. Lastly, You can use an elbow on your return pump to suck water like an inch or so off of the bottom on the sump because bubbles will rise and so you won't be sucking as much of them in. Here's a few pics to show you what I mean. HTH:)

If you purchase pods in a bottle (it's a much better idea to get some macro and a cup of LS from another reefer) then you want to put them in the refugium.

Back