Starting over...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mvit

Hello all!
I am considering moving/re-doing my long suffering 20 gal fowlr tank into a 30g. I have been doing some research on substrates,etc. and have several questions. My current setup is plagued with algae problems (lots of green) I believe to be caused from high nitrates (20-40ppm) and probably phosphate as well. The tank has been up and running for over a year and I have only lost 2 fish,a small lawnmower blenny and a small striped damsel due to jumping I think as I could never find the remains. I do minimal maintenance(I know,shame on me!)including top ups w/rodi,occasional stiring/vacing,filter cleaning,tank scraping etc.
I would realy like to move this to a 30 and maybe down the road add some corals and or inverts to gain some visual appeal. My main issue is algae.

My currant setup:
20 long,rodi with Instant ocean mix
Magnum hangon filter
Aqua-c hangon skimmer
dual compact flour hood actinic+full bulbs
Hagen 100w heater
approx 2" sand(I bought it wet in 2 bags from petco,forgot the name),very fine like sugar
some live rock approx 10 #
2 small damsels
2 small turbo snails
a leafy red plant on one of the rocks
lots of tiny featherdusters on the rocks
quite a bit of algae.

My questions:
1. IF I reuse the sand is there any way I can lessen the chance of algae regrowth in the new tank?
2. Should I consider running a uv sterilizer on the tank prior or after the move?
3. I have access to a magnum canister filter should I consider it and what would be the best media?
4. Is there a way to kill the algae on my rocks without killing the life on them now?
5. Would the lighting be addequate for the deeper tank?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance,
Mark

I wouldnt move sand, I wouldnt use a canister. I think you just need to convince yourself to take better care of it this time around.

Don

Hey Mark welcome to RF

I would first learn as much as you can on algae. It doesn't take much for that stuff to grow. To have a clean SW tank takes a lot of care.

"My current setup is plagued with algae problems (lots of green) I believe to be caused from high nitrates (20-40ppm) and probably phosphate as well."

Yup. with your description I bet you have both of these elements PLUS more that you dont test for or know about.
Read
Read
Read

My water params are all good except for nitrates as I expected
SG=1.023
PH=8.2
Phosphate=0
Nitrate=40
RODI from tap=0 nitrate

I do plan on taking much better care of it this time around.

From what I have been reading it is best not to use bioballs or sponges in the filters as this leads to high nitrates. The filter I have been using has a sponge sleeve around the media canister and does a wonderful job of clearing the tank when I stir it up and blow off the rocks with a baster.What would be a good mechanical filter/media then?

I have been running an aqua-c remora skimmer for well over a year but rarely have to dump the cup. I adjusted it to skimm ''wet''. It has never caught much of anything but was very highly rated and recomended.

Would moving my sand and rock only bring the algae problem to my new tank or could I somehow salvage the rock?

I would like to have a shallow sandbed but it is a bear to vac the stuff without sucking a lot up by mistake.

i agree with don (don i agree with you a lot) lol

and way... leave the sand maybe cure some new LR in another tank or contanor....

clean your tank up a little remove the can filters and floss.. (free flowing)

sump? maybe more movement... lots of movement helps

Algae is a tough problem and your water parameters may not be responsible. Of course the nitrate and phosphates are required to grow algae and yours are high, unfortunately, algae will grow with very little or almost none of these pollutants.
The only way to kill the algae you have now without killing the rock is to keep it in the dark. The fish will survive with very little light and live rock is not dependant on light. Most of the useful life on the rock is inside where it is dark anyway.
As for keeping your new tank algae free that is a hard question. There is obviousely something in your system that encourages algae (as there is in mine) My nitrates and phosphates are just about zero but if you feed anything you will be adding fertilizer.
I realize many people never experience algae and it is also thought that if you have almost no nitrates it will not grow but that is false. It will grow better and darker with nutrients but it can also grow on almost nothing.
You need to either diatom filter or if you like you can use your canister to clean up what you have now. I would keep the tank as dark as possable for a few weeks providing you have no photosynthetic animals and just put on some lights for a while to feed or better yet put those few fish in a seperate tank and keep your main tank in total darkness for a few weeks then use the canister filter to clean out the dead algae. You will also need to change all the water after the algae dies.
I would then install a lighted refugium on your new tank because I believe you will be growing algae again. You will also need to remove the algae that grows in the refugium.
Also whatever you are feeding, feed less. Fish need very little food.
For some reason, algae will grow in cycles and it seems that no matter what you do, sometimes it will grow, and there are times where you could have nitrates through the roof and it does not grow. There is obviousely something about algae that is not quite understood as you can tell by all the algae problem posts that state the readings are all zero and they have a lettuce farm.
It is easiest if you can grow it out of your main display and remove it. There will be times, even years where it will not grow.
Good luck.
Paul

Nice Tank Paul !
I hope mine will look half as nice someday. If I can lick this algae problem I hope to upgrade to the 29g. So if my rock cleans up I'll move it to the 29.I'm thinking of going with about an 1 1/2 of sand. Any thoughts on reusing it? If I go with all new water and a lighter feeding routine do you think my nitrates will still be up?
I guess what I'm asking is = If I reuse my rock and sand(after the blackout/algae kill process)do you think nitrates will "follow" them into the new tank?

Also if I go with a refugeum isn't it possible for the algae in it to just "reseed" my main tank?

Thanks to all for some good input.

Mark

Algae will be reseeded in your tank no matter what you do. You can use the sand, just keep it in the dark and rinse it well in salt water to clean it.
Feeding less will do a lot for reducing your algae, it is the most important thing you can do.
As I said, algae sometimes grows no matter what you do, some tanks just have an affinity for it, it could be something in your water, food, rock etc. It grows in cycles and should abate eventually giving you a nice clean healthy tank. Don't forget, algae is not a disease and can't be cured. The best thing is if you can live with it but live with it in a rerugium. Algae is actually healthy we just don't want it growing on our corals.
Good luck.
Paul

Back