starting to look like somethin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
Had a gift certificate for live aquaria I had to use by October so I ordered a diamond watchman gobie( was on waiting list) and a cleaner crew. Had to order a "real" skimmer as the reef devil wasn't gonna cut it. Not using the halides or vho untill there are needed so I just stuck the canopy in the corner and will run the t-5's for a while. so,yeah anbody local got some macro's,pods,corline etc. Am gettin low on cash, imagine that...but always have a few bucks layin around. I am too chicken too go with anything too fancy yet, kinda want to wait another month or two for tank to stabalize a bit( or rather ME stabilze and stop tweeking stuff)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks good so far!!!! Keep it up!!!:peace:

On the first shot, I see a bit of sand on your rock. You might want to brush that off. Also, some of your rock seems a little brown...Are you going through a little diatom bloom? :)

Looks good so far!!!! Keep it up!!!:peace:

On the first shot, I see a bit of sand on your rock. You might want to brush that off. Also, some of your rock seems a little brown...Are you going through a little diatom bloom? :)

Up close...its REALLY brown. diatoms started about 2 weeks ago or so and seemed to be stabalized as for as not getting any worse. water column has been pretty clear. have 2 skimmers rated for 125 g each that together seem to be doing alright. I have been feeding lots...fish have fat bellies. so I figure another fish or two...and then another few months to get a hold on it. I mean, I have only been testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. only tested carbonate once but ph is fairly stable and calcium is gonna be low with the instant ocean mix..but its just a fish tank right now so I am not wanting to get too crazy.

Cool beans. Silicates in the water is a major source of fuel for diatoms to grow, but hopefully things subside soon. Here is a little write up I did on them incase you want to browse it. :)

Reef Frontiers - Diatoms

thanks krish, read your article already. NICE job on it! I will have to admitt that the t-5 lights have 2 of the 4 bulbs in the 6700k spectrum which I used on a freshwater tank specifically to grow algea for the sewellia lineolata i am breeding to feed on....so....yeah, DON'T shoot me! I only run them for 6 hours at this point. I only just started running carbon a few days ago, ( didn't want it to become a main part of the biofilter) and I havn't changed any water. so all in all I guess I am not concerned ...yet! lol.

Back