Starting up a new system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dough12boy

I'm sure there's a resource somewhere in this site that covers the method to start up a new system but I cannot seem to find it. I have a new 125 with new refugiam/protein skimmer and I wasn't sure if there's a specific way to do this so that I don't end up killing everything that I introduce to the tank. End goal is to have a reef tank. Should I start with just fish and slowly introduce live rock,etc or ??? Any help would be appreciated.

First. Welcome to RF if I haven't welcomed you before.

First thing your going to want to do is..

1. Decide if you're going to use sand or go bare bottom. There's pros and cons to both. So research this some.
2. Setup the tank and your sand if that's what you decide to do and your live rock.
3. Setup your lighting (You don't say what you're using)
4. Let it cycle. This where it takes some patience. This can take some time but the goal is to let the tank mature and create the bacteria needed for filtration. During this time you'll want to test Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates. The typical cycle will start with Ammonia climbing, followed by Nitrites and then Nitrates. Once these values have reached 0 (especially Ammonia and Nitrites) Nitrates are important to have as close to 0 as possible. Typically the way to lower nitrates is via water changes. Once this done you can start to add things slowly.

During the cycle time since the tank will be doing it's own thing, figure out what you want to keep and continue to Research, research, research & research. Did I say research..:)

Somethings you might want to look into is a QT tank. Do yourself a favor and get a QT tank figured out. This is a place to put new wet inhabitants into for observation and treat if required. This will prevent the headache of introducing any parasites (Ich, etc) into the main display. It doesn't need to be anything special.

Looking to getting good quality test kits. Spend the extra money now for good ones. I use Salifert and would recommend them but there's other good ones out there also.

Test kits:
PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates.

Once you start to get corals etc. you want to start testing ALk, Calcium, Phosphates and Magnesium

The key thing is to take you time. Most reef tanks you see weren't created over night. They take time and patience, mines 2 years old and it's still growing and filling in.

There probably a few things I'm missing here, but I'm sure others will chime in. :D

HTH.

Last edited:
Very nice summary james. I wish I had read something like this when I was starting :). I find it helpful now.

I'd just like to add one thing. Get your equipment and plumbing done before you add water. Big tanks are a PITA to move and plumb after they're all set up with rock and inhabitants.

DO a fresh water run on the plumbing. Dont add your salt until you get everything the way you want it so you dont waste the money if you have to drain it out.

Back