• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Steel Stands

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JPG@CFI

Precision Fabricator
Many have inquired about if I still offer structural steel stands. Why, yes we do! Follow along on this one to get an idea of what is involved.

At this time, I would like to introduce a new star in the shop.
DSC_0147.jpg

This bad boy has HUGE capacity, hydrolic drop control, and liquid cooling, and cuts super clean.
DSC_0148.jpg

And after a few cuts, you have a nice little pile of ready to prep steel. This project calls for 1"x 1"x 1/8" wall square tubing. The tank is 60x18x18, so not alot of weight. As soon as the tank gets a a little taller, and wider, we go to 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" X 3/16" wall square tubing. We have used up to 3x3x 1/4" wall square tubing before on BIG tanks.
DSC_0149.jpg

Enjoy, Jason

Very nice metalworking bandsaw there. Are you going to incorporate any metal formers in the shop too?

Spllbnd2, Metal working is very enjoyable for me, but I could easily get out of control, on buying new tools. Anyone who knows me at all, can tell you that there isn't much more fun for me than to look at or buy new tools! I may get a plasma cutter, but it would be a niceity. No tubing benders, or English wheels. If I did, I'd be making choppers like OCC, or hot rods. I'll stick with tanks, and stands for now. Thanks, Jason

Yeah I hear ya there Jason. I'm the same way with my tools. Everytime I go to the Snap on truck or the woodworking store I have to watch out as I usually end up with tools that I don't really need.

I've used that saw before and love it. That's a great investment and will be a solid workhorse for many years to come.

I saw the Jet in the pictures you posted and wondered... I am pricing out a wood stand for my next tank with a wood facade but a steel stand would be easier to level and I could finally upgrade to a 75 gal sump. Do you weld in the shop or use nuts and bolts?

Spllbnd2, Metal working is very enjoyable for me, but I could easily get out of control, on buying new tools. Anyone who knows me at all, can tell you that there isn't much more fun for me than to look at or buy new tools! I may get a plasma cutter, but it would be a niceity. No tubing benders, or English wheels. If I did, I'd be making choppers like OCC, or hot rods. I'll stick with tanks, and stands for now. Thanks, Jason

I loves me some new toys also, guess you'd have people wondering what in the heck does he actually make, choppers or hot rods, wait no Fish tank stands LOL!:bump2:

Hey Jason, go for it! I love my router table I bought when we went to the tool show together. I know how you feel! After building a solid hardwood stand and canopy for my previous tank, I have to say I love the clean lines and accessibility of a steel stand on my current tank. Getting it coated with truck bedliner material is definitely the way to go. It is easy to skin a steel stand if you want the wood look.

Last edited:
I saw the Jet in the pictures you posted and wondered... I am pricing out a wood stand for my next tank with a wood facade but a steel stand would be easier to level and I could finally upgrade to a 75 gal sump. Do you weld in the shop or use nuts and bolts?

I have a steel stand with a wood skin over it. It's great. If I have simple maintenance to do I can simply use the doors but if I've got serious work to do I can pull the skin out of the way and have total access. Works great. As for Jason, he does everything in his shop. He's got this huge steel work table that he welds on to ensure that everything is level. You should go by and check it out.

Mike

Awesome! they cut through steel like butter!!!

My friends Dad has a plasma cutter and they are pretty sweet but I've really only used it for car projects. A mandrel bender would be awesome! I would never leave the shop haha.

We have a few pic's to share on our most current steel project. A little about my welding table. It is a 1943 Acorn table. This table helped in the war effort. I reconditioned it and made a nice base for it. It is 6" thick, and 3" in the middle. It weighs around 4800 lbs. The square holes are for Dogs. They hold your work and reduce heat deflection. The table is dead flat, and makes it easy to weld things square and true. Here you go, enjoy!

Here is the front.
DSC_0164.jpg

This pic is a nice weld.
DSC_0168.jpg

This is what 4 hours of hard work can give you.
DSC_0169.jpg

The material is 1" square tube, that is 1/8" wall. I only use this for light duty stands. The tank is only 18" tall, and if it were 24" or taller, we would be using 1.5" square tube that is 3/16ths or full 1/4".

Last edited:
We scotch brighted the whole thing, sprayed on a coat of primer, resanded, and layed down 2 coats of customer spec'ed flat black paint. Put a wood top on it, and called it done. Here you go, Jason

IMAG00041.jpg

Hi guys!

Just a steel update. We will be picking up about 1000 pounds of steel for a few stands early next week. My poor Tacoma, she is such a trooper! We will take a few pic's, while we are cutting fools. Then on to surface prep. Keep tuned in Carol! Jason

I have ran .035, and I think I have .023, I'll have to look. I buy the big spools, so I don't have to change it too often. I do have a spool of .035 flux core, but I swiched back to standard wire.

Back