Steven's perfect nightmare

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
Hello,

So a little bit about me. I have been in the hobby off and on for the last 15 years. I have had all sorts of setups from FO to full blown reefs. My very first fish was a volitan lion in a 55 fish only. That first tank is the inspiration for the build that I am in the process of finishing.

For the last year I have had a 125 setup in my garage with the intent of grow out/frag tank. I can say that idea dissolved very quickly. But none the less I had some fish ,including a lion, and a tank full of corral.

I got my current setup from my aunt who unfortunately had about every issue possible with her tank. Some things that I have never heard of. The tank is a marine land 250 DD and was setup as a reef with 2 250 halides, 8 t5's and an octopus 250 extreme skimmer. One difficulty was that there was no room under the stand. I had two acrylic tanks built for sumps. The last straw and what resulted in this tank being taken down was a cracked halide that was still firing. This in turn "burnt" everything on the left side of the reef and killed 95% of the live stock let alone throwing the tank into a nose dive of a crash from the die off. I tore down the tank in April and so started the planning, designing and set up of my new system.

This tank would be perfect for me because of the type of build that I wanted to do. The tank has sweet dimensions. It is 5' x 3' x 27" tall. My idea for the system was an aggressive reef based around the fish. As far as the reef part, the corals in the tank would be what ever the fish would allow. Knowing that I would still like to keep some nice corals in a traditional reef, I setup one of the acrylic sumps as a reef. It's dimensions are 32" x 24" x 14.5" tall, about a 46 gallon tank. Both these displays are in the same system.

After modifying the stand to give me more room under the stand and some changes to the lighting, I got it in the house and started plumbing.

The nuts and bolts of the setup are a 250 gallon display lit by two 400 watt halides and 4 t5's. Current inhabitants are my volitan lion, miniatus grouper, yellow and sailfin tank and a leopard wrasse. Future fish will be some combination of a panther grouper, snowflake eel, clown or niger trigger, porcupine and/or some version of a dog face puffer and a harliquin tusk. The small reef is lit by a single 250 w halide. It currently has a yellow eye tang and three clowns. Would like to get some type of anthias, a pipe and maybe a goby/shrimp pair. The common sump is 4' x 2' x 26" tall and houses my refugium. I am using a G4 skimmer and a dart as the return pump for both displays. A fairly simple system.

Now for the fun part, pictures! Here is the 250 setup as a reef at my aunts, the 125 I had in my garage and the current setup. I will get some more detailed pics tonight plus there has been a few slight changes in rockwork.

Let me know what you all think or if you have any suggestions for additions. Thanks!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1311178985312.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1311178985312.jpg
    92.6 KB
  • uploadfromtaptalk1311182031593.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1311182031593.jpg
    73.7 KB
  • uploadfromtaptalk1311182168258.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1311182168258.jpg
    64.5 KB
  • uploadfromtaptalk1311182293937.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1311182293937.jpg
    57.6 KB
Looks good! :)

Do you have any issues with the tank in attachment 3?? I see all the rocks are all stacked against the backwall (I guess to give the fish more swimming room). Does this pose a problem for you with waste accumilating behind there or do you have pumps pushing water behind the rockwork? :)

Krish- I built the wall with the intention of it looking like the edge of a reef where these types of predators would naturally hang out. The wall is built on 5 large base rocks. So waste accumulation should be relatively no more than what should be expected when keeping lions, groupers ect.

Going to be a sweet setup Steven, looking forward to seeing progress on this one.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Todd, you'll have to come down and see it in person.

Here is what it looks like today. uploadfromtaptalk1311303471387.jpguploadfromtaptalk1311303512275.jpguploadfromtaptalk1311303563134.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1311303377226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1311303377226.jpg
    74.7 KB
  • uploadfromtaptalk1311303416563.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1311303416563.jpg
    72.5 KB
So funny how the pics don't even come close to size of tank and sump. The shrooms with the lion are allmost 12 inches across

Lets see if this works. Here is a video of me feeding the grouper and lion. Sorry for the poor quality, it was taken with my phone.

Thanks peppie. I don't have any fish in there that he can eat. The wrasse will be removed soon. The most aggressive/dominant fish in the tank is my yellow tang.

Ok, so haven't changed or added much to the tank lately other than a few corals and a blue throat trigger. I have a couple of pending projects/upgrades I am working on. First, I am going to be putting an over the back closed loop. I can't wait to get all these damn power heads out. Second is a bit more involved. I am going to be turning a part of my sump into an airstone style skimmer. It will be fed off of my return and I am hoping to use a membrane instead of a stone.

Sounds awesome man! I am curious how the air stone/membrane skimmer is going to work and what will the benefits be of doing it? Let me know if you need some help!

Dennis

So a while back, the three piece center brace popped on me. I tell you what, comin home to see a 250 gallon glass tank bowing out a few inches is a little unnerving. To fix this, I used a bar clamp to pull it back together and drilled some holes to put acrylic bolts through. This was a permanent fix but when the tank sprung loose, it chipped the front starfire panel. Didn't cause a leak, but still don't like it. While I was down at RAP this last weekend, I talked to the guy in the Marineland both and found out that there is a life time warranty on the tank. Perfect reason to make some mods/upgrades. To the tank, I will be installing a coast to coast and an over the back closed loop. To the sump, I am building a chamber into a skimmer. These mods will make it so I have to redo the plumbing, so why not do it when the tank comes off the stand.

So, plans for the the closed loop (CL) and coast to coast over flow (CTC) are this. The CTC will consist of two troughs. They will be split in the middle to allow the plumbing for the CL into the tank at the center. The face of the CTC will be one solid piece though to cover up the plumbing and look consistent. I will then notch out the stock overflows where the CTC meets up. For the CL, the intakes will take the bulkheads that are for the return in the overflows and the out put from the pump will come over the back and into the tank. The return from the sump will also come over the back, then follow the center brace to the front of the tank before T'ing off to lockline. Here are two sketches, let me know what you all think.

From front
uploadfromtaptalk1319578076926.jpg

From top
uploadfromtaptalk1319578143807.jpg

You cant have your closed loop input in the overflow, if you did that it wouldnt be closed now would it?? lol You could still bring it up through the over flow but you would have to punch out into the tank through the overflow wall. Also on the inputs I would spread them out a bit and have them go all the way to the bottom of the tank, that way you wouldnt have to glue them and thus you could rotate them as you did your rockwork, from their though I would go with locline directly from the main pipes.

I see another hard day at work??

lol

Mojo

Back