still havin algae prob

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

deezn7

ReeFer
so i just did a at least 60% water change cause my nitrate and ph was thru the roof<the water quality is back to normal now but within a day alll the brown algae has already formed all across my rocks and sand.i never had this problem till about 3weeks ago, does anyone know what i should do

It could still be nitrates. Just what is there is being taken up by the algae so you may not pick it up on the test. My thought is too much DOM. Did your skimmer stop working maybe?

If you run RODI for your water, check with TDS meter,maybe need replacment cartridges,
I had some similar problems to yours.

skimmer is workin but its like green brown algae that forms really fast and is stringy hanging off the rocks.whats dom??tds mter??

Sounds like green hair algae with diatoms attaching to them turning it to a greenish brown color. You need to find the source of the nitrates that is causing the algae to grow. Your tank is going to show lower nitrates because the algae is consuming most of them.

Tell us more about your tank...size, skimmer, bio load, test kits being used, etc.
What's the light schedule for the tank? How much are you feeding?

i was usin tap till about a month ago when this all started and found out how bad it was.i have a 46bowfront 2x96wt 250mh lighting.lightswere on from 1-9.sea clone 150 skimmer and a basic 50gal bak pak filter.im workin on how to build a refugium right now in process.i have ran this setup for almost 2 years no problems.xcept i upgraded lighting 3 months ago

Well, first the tap water was probably the first source on feeding the algae. Did you switch to RO/DI water? If so, like EZReefer said do you have a meter that tests TDS (total dissolved solids)? This is very important to water quality.

What are you running in your bak pak filter? How many fish/corals do you have in the tank(bio load)? How often are you feeding? What are the parameters in the tank(Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc.)? What brand of test kits are you using?

A refugium will help with algae if set up correctly, but if I were you, I would like to find the source to the algae problem.

ya i did swith to ro/di.i dont have that meter ill look into it.my bakpak right now had a phossorb packet in it.i put that in when the water was a lil murky and this algae started and just a regular filter foam with carbon in it.i have yellow goby, 2 clowns,blenny died in this incident,so did my long tentacle and grn bubble tip.now all thats left is xenia,mushrooms,some zoos,button polyps,and bubble coral,feather duster.thats it not much really.the parimeters are NItrate=80,nitrite=0,KH=about 300,PH=8.2. i just used a test strip

i was just checking on my tank and now i think my xenia is dying too! tips are turnin white<havnt opened in a week

You should really invest in some quality test kits. Those dip ones don't tell you squat! I use Salifert kits as do many others. When did your anemones die? I have a hard time believing your ammonia is at 0 if you had 2 anemones die. How often are you doing water changes? Your tank does have LR correct? If you do, take the sponge filter out!

I would continue to do large water changes (30% to 50% daily following Lee's recommendations PROPER WATER CHANGE) I would also look into a better skimmer. I haven't heard one good thing about Seaclones. If you can't afford a new one, I would look into moding the Seaclone.

Your going to have fish and coral continue to die until you get all the toxins out from the death of the anemones. Also the water changes WILL get your parameters back in check.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back