Sting potency in corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
Is there a list anywhere that will tell me which corals are compatable with each other and with clams , and which ones will kill each other? I have some new ricordia pretty close to my clam and don't know if it will sting it or not. And I have corals getting close to each other, so I need to know if I should redecorate or remove some corals. Any help would be great. There should be a list that has sting power of corals and Nems from 0 to 10 so ou know which are compatible.

Most all corals of different species will combat each other, either through stinging, expelling their gut and consuming or chemically. There are a few exceptions, such as Hammer Coral/Frogspawn. These can typically be placed within touching distance of one another. Different colorations of Zoanthids can sometimes be placed together, though one may become predominate and overgrow the other.

+1 usually like species like euphyllia. i had hammers frogspawn and torches all living next to each other touching never had any issues

CIMG0867-1.jpg

DSC04042.jpg

Well, from my experience the acan lord sting hurt the most. LOL!! I'm a stupid reefer and don't use gloves, so I've been stung quite a few times reaching around in there. The RBTA got me a couple days ago. I teased it to make it shrink into it's hole so I could reach beneath it, but it snuck back out on me, and before I knew it my whole arm was itching and tingling like crazy. Sorry it doesn't help you though, I'm always wondering the same thing because my tank is really packed. I keep all types of shrooms and ricordia together and they don't bother each other. Also have tons of zoas/palys growing together and some frogspawn and hammers.

Julian Sprungs book "CORALS A Quick Reference Guide" has an easy chart to follow on most of the commonly available corals giving Lighting Needs, Water Flow, Aggressiveness, Hardiness and Placement . With fairly up-to-date pics of most corals you'll come accross.

Todd

I was just worried as my corals spread and grow what would need to be moved. I'm selling my torch because its getting to big and don't want my clam hit or zoos. I also have a RBTA getting close to my new orange ricordia, not sure but think the RBTA will win and I love both the rics and the nem.

Look at wet web media, at their section regarding coral/ chemical warfare. Its pretty interesting!

Someone should make a program so you can just enter the type of corals and get a kill, no kill answer. That would be sweet.

Someone should make a program so you can just enter the type of corals and get a kill, no kill answer. That would be sweet.

lol - the answer 99% of the time will be kill, at least to some degree...

I've also placed different species of montipora caps ontop of each other to allow them to grow together. They kind of "met in the middle" and just grew opposite ways once they hit. No death, but I wouldn't call it perfect harmony either.

You will find this with many types of SPS in the wild and in tanks as well, as they form a kind of "no grow zone" where each one just stops advancing. This is thought to be due to chemical warfare as well.

My RBTA moved and is winning over the cabbage coral, but they both are on the same rock. Do I have any options other than breaking the rock in two?

shrooms are sps killers. I had a hairy shroom touch my OR tort and kill it within a couple days I wasn't able to stop the rtn. after that no shrooms for me!.... hyrdaphora is one of the worse for sps anything it touches it kills sps zoa and most lps wise. I usually stick same family in the same area though this is not always good. stags in a stag section ect... tame corals I will also place in a group to grow as they will usually compete for space to keep growing

Julian Sprungs book "CORALS A Quick Reference Guide" has an easy chart to follow on most of the commonly available corals giving Lighting Needs, Water Flow, Aggressiveness, Hardiness and Placement . With fairly up-to-date pics of most corals you'll come accross.

Todd

i will paln on buying this book this weekend did you order yours online or do you remember lol. It has probly been a while since you got it.

Recently got some corals shipped to me, and an acan echinata was placed in the same bag with an acan lord and a plastic bag wrapped around one as a make-shift plastic divider. Well, the acan lord was 90% devoured and disintegrated into slime by the time I got it. another time, a moseleya frag fell against an acan echinata at night, and was more than half gone when I found it the next morning. Cut off the bad part to save the rest. From experience so far, echinatas are very fast effective killers that shouldn't be near anything!

Recently got some corals shipped to me, and an acan echinata was placed in the same bag with an acan lord and a plastic bag wrapped around one as a make-shift plastic divider. Well, the acan lord was 90% devoured and disintegrated into slime by the time I got it. another time, a moseleya frag fell against an acan echinata at night, and was more than half gone when I found it the next morning. Cut off the bad part to save the rest. From experience so far, echinatas are very fast effective killers that shouldn't be near anything!

they also have a powerful bite lol who would of put them in the same bag mmm m mm..... i read to keep them out of striking distance from any other coral. I believe it was a guy in r2r the his enchinta killed a couple chalices and rainbow acans.

They are definately one to keep away from others. The biggest problem is, once you've noticed it's killing something, it's pretty much too late!

i will paln on buying this book this weekend did you order yours online or do you remember lol. It has probly been a while since you got it.

I think I've seen that book at Wild Side pets in Puyallup, and maybe at Blue Sierra too. I think Barrier has a ton of books too. You could probably call the different stores and ask. I looked through it one day, its awesome. Amazing photos!!

Back