Stocking Plans

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seattlereef

Wanted to get everyone’s feedback on my stocking plans for my mixed reef aquarium and which order I should be introducing them.
Tank : 145 Gallon
Sump: 55 Gallon
Refugium : 55 Gallon
Lighting : LED
Live Rock : 120 Lbs (well base rock)
Live Sand : 80 Lbs in the display tank only
Theme: Mix of all different types of corals and fish. Focus on bright colors and cool interactions.

Current stocking:

2 Fancy White Clowns
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Fighting Conch
Green Elephant Skin Coral
Red Mushroom Coral

Future Plans. This is in order of how much I would like to have them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naso Blonde Tang. I would love to have more than one tang however from my research it appears this can be problematic.
Green Mandarin. I realize it will be at least 6-12 months before my live rock could support this guy so probably means he’ll be one of the last.
1-2 more tangs, however it doesn’t appear like this is a good idea. Anyone with experience keeping multiple tangs? I would love to keep a Blue, Powder Blue Tank or a Lieutenant Tang or even a Sailfin.
Goby/Shrimp pair. Haven’t decided on which exact species but I would love to have the symbiotic relationship. Love the coloring on the Yasha Goby so leaning that way. For the shrimp maybe a tiger Snapping Shrimp or a red banded snapping shrimp.
Copperband Butterflyfish. From my research it appears these guys can be reef safe but its hit and miss. I would love to keep one but am on the fence given the difficulty feeding and a possibly to pick at corals.
Flame Anglefish. Would love to get this guy too however again it seems hit and miss on the ability to keep with corals.
Longhorn Cowfish. I think these guys look cool however given the flow needs of the coral not sure how viable this guy would be.
Spotted Cardinalfish. Would like to keep 3-5 of these guys. Also considering the Banggai Cardinalfish haven’t decided which way to go.
Scissortail Dartfish. This little guy looks cool and if he fits into the rest of my stocking plans I’ll pick him up but not 100% on this guy yet.
Matted Filefish. Think these guys look really cool however not sure how they’ll do with corals.
Scott’s Fiary Wrasse. Love the floors and seems to fit in well to a reef aquarium
Maxima Clam. Love the colors on these guys.
Anemone. Would like to have one to host the clownfish however given them stinging corals and possibly getting caught in powerheads wondering if its worth it.

Future Corals: Not in any particular order.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neon Pineapple Tree.
Birdnest Coral
Kenya Tree Coral
Frogspawn Coral
Devils hand Leather Coral
Chili Coral
Torch Coral
Lace Coral

I think this is too much to stock In the tank but wanted to get peoples feedback on any additions they would recommend or big red flags that I haven’t considered.

Thanks!

I don't see any problem to the fish you want EXCEPT the following;

Tangs..due to the nature that tangs need lots of room to swim all day, eat, and poop, I only see one tang in this tank's future.

Green Mandarin...unless it is a ORA that eats prepared food, I would not consider adding one for at least one year AND you are supplying pods via a fuge.

CopperBand Butterfly...very hard to accept foods in captivity....if buying locally, demand to see it eat in your presence..if it doesn't, don't buy it..

Scott's fairy wrasse....beautiful fish, but with as with all fairy wrasses can be jumpers as 90% of all deaths occur from jumping out of tank..a lid of some type is recommended...when i had wrasses, i used window screen for my tank...the way to reduce jumping is to make sure they dont feel threatened.

Dartfish...same issue with jumping as fairy wrasses..

HTH
Kirk

Thanks for the feedback. I kinda figured that I could only have one tang. Any ideas on introduction order? I'm assuming the flame angle should be one of the last. I would like my next intro to be the Naso Blonde Tang.

add timid fishes first...so dartfish, copperband butterfly, fairy wrasses...wait 4-6 wks for them to adjust, then add the naso tang and/or flame angel..

Back