Stopped RTN w/ Q-tip & Lugol's Solution

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TJL

copod
Hey Kevin, just checking to see if you know of any other successfull applications using Lugol's directly applied to infected area of SPS coral.

Long story kinda short... I recently traded for some Rics with a fellow RFer and did a OOOPS in not dipping them before adding to DT. The next day a couple of the Rics were brown jellied up and disolving, then I did another and bigger oops by not turning off all pumps before trying to remove. Bits -n-pieces blew all over the tank while retrieving the remaining Rics for dipping. by the next morning everywhere the infected pieces had landed caused even more damage. I lost 3 more of my original Rics, 2 sm Lokani frags, a beautiful Purple/Blue M. digitata and started getting RTN on base of Pink Milli colony. I didn't want to cut up and frag the milli so I placed 5 drops of Lugol's Solution onto a Q-tip and applied directly to the RTN area ( kind of pressed & rolled the tip around base) and just a little onto living tissue two days in a row. I also did a 15% water change, its been six days since last application and seems to have stopped RTN.

Anyway I have read a fair amount on RTN and haven't come across any mention of treating this way, so thought I'd share a RTN story with a happy ending.

Todd

Hello,
I'm surprised you didn't run across any reference to the method you describe as it has been used for 15 years or so on LPS type corals. Most notably Favia, Trachyphyllia, and Platygyra types. Most of the coral dip solutions are iodine based also and can be used in the same way. They are just less concentrated.

RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) usually kills the entire coral in a few hours so the chances of you being there to catch it are less likely. STN (slow tissue necrosis) usually happens over the course of a few days so you have a better chance of stopping it.

Glad to hear your corals are doing well and hopefully your detailed description of the process will help someone else save their corals too. Success in this hobby is inextricably linked to information and the access to it.

Regards,
Kevin

Hey Kevin, just checking to see if you know of any other successfull applications using Lugol's directly applied to infected area of SPS coral.

Long story kinda short... I recently traded for some Rics with a fellow RFer and did a OOOPS in not dipping them before adding to DT. The next day a couple of the Rics were brown jellied up and disolving, then I did another and bigger oops by not turning off all pumps before trying to remove. Bits -n-pieces blew all over the tank while retrieving the remaining Rics for dipping. by the next morning everywhere the infected pieces had landed caused even more damage. I lost 3 more of my original Rics, 2 sm Lokani frags, a beautiful Purple/Blue M. digitata and started getting RTN on base of Pink Milli colony. I didn't want to cut up and frag the milli so I placed 5 drops of Lugol's Solution onto a Q-tip and applied directly to the RTN area ( kind of pressed & rolled the tip around base) and just a little onto living tissue two days in a row. I also did a 15% water change, its been six days since last application and seems to have stopped RTN.

Anyway I have read a fair amount on RTN and haven't come across any mention of treating this way, so thought I'd share a RTN story with a happy ending.

Todd

Hey Kevin, thanks for your response. I did find lots of info regarding the use of iodine dipping (have done so myself for many years), especially 'Lugol's Solution' but not any reference to applying/dabbing concentrated iodine directly to infected area of coral colony while still in aquarium. Your probably correct on STN though did lose a Pocillo colony within a few hours. Today to be on the safe side I did remove Pink Milli colony and give it a dip in Melafix and seperated the ajoining Red Milli so if infection returns won't posably lose both.

Todd

but not any reference to applying/dabbing concentrated iodine directly to infected area of coral colony while still in aquarium.

I did not understand this from your original post. I have not heard of that method either only the direct application with a cotton swab outside the tank.

Regards,
Kevin

Back