Storing salt H2O short term without aeration???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jobiwan

Hello Boomer et al,

I'm almost to the point of having 600 gallons of RO in 7 different containers ready to fill my new tank in two weeks, I want to have them all mixed with salt (Seachem Reef is my personal preference) when I add them to the tank. as the live rock will be in place and I won't subject it to the rigors of a FW dip so I can mix it in the tank. Each container will have 24 hours of circulation to dissolve the mix and to adjust it to 1.025 (the salinity the 800 lbs of rock has been curing in for 10 weeks). Depending on the final delivery date of my system, this salt mix will be stored covered (to avoid dust contamination etc in my garage) for 7 to 14 days. I've noticed that 5 gallon sealed containers of premixed salt water are being marketed now, are there any problems/adverse chemical reactions I could experience by storing my synthetic mix for a couple of weeks without the benefit of aeration/exposure to air? The tank will be rapidly filled with an Iwaki 100 which should give a bit of aeration going in the tank, once it is full the closed loops powered by 3 hammerheads will go on, so the rock itself will only be exposed to unaerated water for a very short period. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me regarding this, best regards, Joe

Hi Joe. I am sure Boomer will give a more detailed answer, but IMO, this will be fine. Is it possible to aerate the water "before" you dump it in? This way you can retest for a several params, after an hour or two of water circulation, such as pH, then alk.

However, if there is just rock in there, I don't think you will hurt the rocks.

Best,
Ilham

Thanks Boomer, I appreciate everything you and the rest of the gang do to help us along, it's great we don't have to be stumbling around in the dark any more, best regards, Joe

Back