Strange beasts in my sand...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kurt_Nelson

OK... I've been trying to get a good picture of these things for months, and last week an asterina star and one of them made for a great photo opportunity.

Here's the picture, and then a description...

DSC_1524-1.jpg

The white worm-like things live in one place in the sand. They don't seem to move around. They poke their "heads" out of the sand normally at night - or during the day if there's food in the tank, or an unlucky snail/star wanders too close - and lay their tentacles flat against the sand... kind of like a trap. The upper part of them are white and the lower part are kind of brownish. Of the few I've managed to grab with tweezers and yank out, the largest ones are only about 1/2" to 3/4" long. Hard to tell since they're just kind of a shriveled mass when they're out of the water.

The tentacles will retract into the "tube" when it's disturbed, and the whole tube will retract down in to the sand. Very very hard to grab the things. Only way I've gotten them before is when they're eating something hard and I can grab the whole thing, pinching the hard thing they're eating. Even though the things are at MOST 1/8" in diameter, then can "swallow" a small nassarius whole. I've witnessed it. I think that's why over the last 6 months or so I've had a hard time keeping them alive in my tank. When I add them, on average I lose two within the first hour after they crawl across one of these little land mines.

Sooo... after doing a bunch of research, I *think* I may be dealing with some type of hydroid, and not a worm. But the problem is I can't really find any pictures of hydroids that look like these. Tons of different hydroids, and tons of pictures... but I just keep coming up with nothing. I'd like to find out more about them so I can maybe devise a plan to combat the little buggers - other than siphoning them out!

Now that I've gotten a good picture, hopefully someone here will be able to steer me in the right direction. Oh... and after I finally got the picture, I rescued the asterina star. It's doing fine now.

I do have tosay that is one sweet pic of whatever it is and I tagging along to find out what that critter is cuz well I curious too:)

Hi guys - Sid Pm'ed me on this bad boy. It is an anemone, possibly in the family Edwardsiidae. They don't have much of a tube compared to other sand-dwelling anemones like Pachycerianthus. Great picture!
Cheers, Leslie

OMG!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Yup... a quick Google search for Edwardsiidae yielded a bunch of pictures that look dead on with what I've seen when I've pulled the whole thing out of the sand.

So obviously I have something to research now, but do you know of any way to easily deal with these things? Since they're chowing my Nassarius, I'm not too interested in having them, and while the population isn't at plague-like proportions, it does seem to be growing. I've tried the aiptasia trick of kalk paste plopped right in the center, but they just seemed to retract into the sand for a week and then reappeared.

Thanks again for the ID. I was searching in the totally wrong area! Never even once though "anemone."

thats a cool looking picture though lol. little stars like o no hes got my leg :). but just try taking a net maybe and scoop up the sand that there hiding in maybe u can catch a bunch of them like that you might have some cloudy water but you might get rid of them. Or if u have a small round bowl you could place it in there and push it into the sand so it touches the bottom and you know its flat against the bottom. then just leave it there for a little while and they might die inside there and somehow u could scoop it up. Just some ideas :p

Back