Strange Creatures

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Vicki

Anemone
I just found some new, strange creatures in one of my tanks.

The first creature moves like an 'inch worm'. He moves his head backwards in a jerking movement for each forward movement. When all stretched out during a forward movement, he is about 1/2 inch long. He is just precious. (Ignore the asterina he's crawling over and he is NOT eating the asterina.)

The second critter reminds me of a stomatella snail, but I've never seen any with a striped shell like this. The shell isn't quite as oval as a stomatella's shell either. Notice the length of the foot and also the length of the 'thingie' in front. Almost resembles a Nassarius snail. This guy is also about 1/2 inch overall.

Anyone have any ideas what these are?

I've zoomed the pictures in to get as close up as I could in both these pictures, thus the lack of quality.

Thanks,
Vicki

the first one looks like a sea hare? or some other sea slug, maybe. but the lastsnail looks alot like a cone snail. and cone snails are very very toxic ( at least some of them) i go out and walk in the estuary wheir i live alot and ive seen my fair share. if your ever stung their arent many antivenoms , but ive heard eating the snail can help counter act the poison. i hope that im wrong (happens alot).

The first photo in post #1 does remind me of a sea hare, but where did he come from????

I don't believe the snail is a 'cone snail' as it's shell isn't like the pictures I googled.

Here's two more pictures of the snail, again really zoomed in so the clarity isn't good, but it shows the coloration and the underside of it's foot.

Vicki

when you disturb the snail does it: a, curl into shell. b,play dead or move faster.

when near sand does he dig.

what does he eat.

with the new pictures it looks kinda like a olivine snail. i forget the scientific name

hope this helps

oh i forhot, if it is the olivine snail, then it grows to about 4" and eats your sand fauna, so try to get rid of it if so. in captivity they often starve, because they eat everything in the sand at a faster rate than most tanks reproduce more sand babies

the second pic is what Inland Aquatics sells as their peppermint snail Its of teh Hyalina species. Great detritivore/scavenger. They stay tiny at 1/4=3/8 of an inch

Thanks Rod and DJ.

The snail has been identified as hyalina albonineata, Peppermint Snail.
Brian Plankis of Project DIBBS was quick to identify it as well.
I'm sure glad it's an OK creature to have in my tank.

Anyone have any ideas on the other creature? I'm still guessing it's some sort of sea hare, but it's SO tiny.....

Vicki

Back