Stray voltage question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

egunman

Over the last couple weeks I have lost several of my corals, acans, polyps, pagda cup, and hammer has lost its color. Checked all water parameters and all were in safe/normal ranges. Someone suggested checking stray voltage so I checked. I have 8.6 V running though my tank. 5V or more is coming from my Mag12 return pump and most the rest is coming from my skimmer pump. Does that amount of voltage coming from my return pump warrent getting a new pump or what should I do?

Thank

Eric

I have had that problem once before. I had nearly 45 volts in the tank. Most of it was due to old equipment. My LFS suggested i used a grounding probe. I did use one and my voltage went straight to 0. If you go that route make sure you pair it up with a GFCI. Good luck

A ground probe will bring a voltage down to "0" but if it is a real voltage you don't fix it but is can help save you from a shock, all it does is complete the path to ground. Unless your getting around 90volts ac it is considered stray. The little you're seeing is harmless, you need to find the issues your having though, so good to eliminate that.

Back